The Empty Hearse: Chapter 4

The next stop on your and Sherlock's list was Molly then Mark. Of course they knew the two of you were alive, but you insisted on stopping by Barts and your old work to pay them a visit. Luckily it was late enough so not many people were still milling around the hospital and you got through with only a few of your old coworkers gawking at you. You led Sherlock to the locker rooms, knowing this would be about the time Molly would be getting out of work to head home.

When you reached the lockers, you saw Molly faced away from the door. She was packing her bag and you turned to Sherlock as he quietly walked in behind you. Not a moment passed before Molly jumped, spying both of your reflections in a small mirror in her locker's door. She spinned with a wide smile on her face as she ran to give you a hug. Your eyes widened in surprise, but of course you hugged her back. She pulled away looking over to Sherlock, giving him a shy wave.

"So, who took my position?" You laughed, eager to see your old office. You hoped that Molly had kept at least some of your stuff, some of it actually had some value to you. Molly laughed shyly at that and you gave her a look. "Molly?"

"Well, you certainly know each other..." She trailed off, gesturing for you to follow her. Curious, you followed her, Sherlock right behind you. You couldn't particularly think of anyone that you used to know that would be fit enough to take on a position as big as the one at Barts. Molly stopped at your old office door and knocked on it softly. You heard rustling papers inside, then the door opened. A smiling Mark was revealed as he looked down at Molly, but then his eyes quickly panned to you and Sherlock. His smile quickly grew.

"Y/n! You're back!" Mark devoured you in a hug so intense you almost lost your balance and fell to the ground. "Two years, wow. It's so good to see you again." He pulled back, studying your form when Sherlock cleared his throat. Mark looked over at him, composing himself. "Right, glad you two are both okay." He nodded, taking a step back. "So, did you do it? Destroy Moriarty's web?"

"Of course we did. Wouldn't be here if we hadn't." Sherlock spoke in a monotone voice.

"Yeah! It took a long time, but we got rid of it entirely." You smiled over at Sherlock, so glad to be home and see all your friends. Sherlock remained silent as you spoke to the both of them happily.

"This is the second job you've replaced me in, what happened to the old one?" You questioned, studying Mark with a grin.

"If you're as clever as you say, you should know." He managed, clearing his throat. That was the Mark you knew, always putting you up to a challenge.

"Always putting me up for a challenge, Dr. McClendon. Well, let's see... after you helped stage my 'death' you knew this was a hard position to fill, and applied?" You looked at him, seeing the grin coming back to his face.

"Same old, Y/n. I missed having you around, witch." He joked, his eyes full of awe as if he couldn't look away from you.

"Oh, not that nickname again! I hate it." You chuckled. You hadn't talked to Mark in a long time... mostly because you were too busy being, well, dead. You smiled, knowing that Mark was a good replacement for you here at Barts, but you also hoped, just the tiniest bit, that you could get your job back. It was an amazing job with a very lenient schedule so you could still solve crimes with Sherlock.

"Okay, well we should be off." Sherlock interrupted, stepping in between you and Mark. You looked up at Sherlock with an annoyed look, you'd like to at least know what Mark had done with the labs in the past two years, if anything had changed. Maybe you could even try to get him and Molly together. Now that would be an accomplishment.

"Well, just a moment, Sherlock. I'm rather curious what Dr. McClendon has done with the job, all good things I hope?" You leaned around Sherlock to look at Mark and he grinned, gesturing you towards his desktop computer. You hurried over, looking over the screen as he showed you all the changes he'd made. The hospital was completely digital now and all the paper files had been programmed into the computer, something you wish would've been completely done when you were there. It would've made it easier to type files from home, having them memorized already. He was also eager to show you how he'd gotten the hospital to fund for many new lab supplies, you were enthused to try them out sometime. So many things had happened in the last two years you'd been completely unaware of, but you enjoyed hearing about it all. Especially how Mark had gone on to further his schooling in forensics, since he'd majored in neurology. He was really serious about the job. You continued to chat to him a bit longer and Molly had left, while Sherlock was quickly growing bored.