The Stakeout & Wesley's Surrender

~ The Stakeout & Wesley's Surrender ~

~ ( s ) ( s ) ( s ) ~

I had no difficulty climbing out of bed the next morning. I was excited because Wesley Black issued me a challenge and I was going to win. My lips curved into an already victorious smile as I got out of my old yellow bug. The small car needed a paint job, but I still loved it. I spotted Ferra at the entrance and ran up to her.

"Hey, Fere!"

"Skit!" Wasting no time at all, she asked, "How did it go yesterday?"

"Let's just say he won a battle, but not the war." I went on to tell her about my encounter with Wesley after school. Then I told her all about my plan of attack: Sit outside of his glorified supply closet and wait him out until he finally agrees to tutor me.

"You really think that's going to work?" She sounded beyond skeptic.

"I think it's worth a shot. He'll have to succumb to my charms eventually," I said with confidence then meekly added, "And maybe I want to annoy the hell out of him."

Because I’m petty and didn’t appreciate his attitude.

"It's a terrible plan."

I gasped at her brutal honesty as we arrived at my locker. "It is not!"

"It's not so much a plan of attack as it is a surefire way to piss him off and make him even less likely to surrender."

"Exactly! The plan is to annoy him so much, he has no choice but to surrender." As I said the words, I realized how right Ferra was about it. "Alright, it's a terrible plan."

She grinned at me. Knowing I was still going to do it, she asked, "So when are you going to set it into motion?"

"Lunch," I responded simply, taking my books out. I caught myself glancing in the direction of Wesley's locker, hoping I could start off his morning with it. Too bad, I thought, disappointed when I saw he wasn't there.

"Just make sure you have something to eat. We both know how you get when you don't eat anything."

"I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about,” I brushed her off. Maybe I would get a bit cranky if I missed a meal, but I didn’t have to admit it. "Besides, I had a hearty Belgian waffle breakfast, courtesy of my mom. And I came well-prepared."

"Let me guess. Skittles?"

"Maybe," I dragged out the word. I brought the big bag from my emergency stash at home.

She laughed, "How is your hair not all the colors of the rainbow?"

"Who knows? Maybe someday it will be," I said, only half-joking.

We parted ways to go to class, but not before she wished me luck. Luck? I don't need luck. This is going to be easy.

I kept telling myself that through chemistry, even as I attempted to take notes. When class was over, I quickly gathered my books and bolted for the door. I almost made it out when Mr. Fredrick called my name.

"Yes, Mr. F?" I turned around and innocently smiled at him. No, Mr. Fredrick, I'm not avoiding you. I did not think he would appreciate my sarcasm.

"Have you had any luck with contacting Mr. Black?" He took his reading glasses off and stared at me expectantly.

"Define 'contact,'" I stalled.