A Thesaurus & Kissing Chemicals

~ A Thesaurus & Kissing Chemicals ~

~ ( s ) ( s ) ( s ) ~

Half of the week went by before I felt good enough to go to school. I spent most of that time feeling miserable in bed. My mind wanted to go on vacation while every other part of me suffered. I did try my best to keep up with the homework Ferra brought to me. She helped me with some of it while keeping a safe distance from me.

Ferra went crazy with all the ways I could have gotten sick from Wesley. None of her theories were correct, but most of them were fun to hear. Ian didn't think they were all that funny when she told him, and even excused himself to make a phone call. I didn't have the courage to ask Wesley about the interrogation he must have gotten from him, but I knew I would have to apologize on my brother's behalf eventually.

Maybe it would have been worth being sick if just one of her theories had been right, I thought with a cough as I walked to class. I still had some residual symptoms, but I felt much better than I did a couple of days ago. Part of me was happy to be back at school, and back to my study sessions with Wesley.

I hadn't seen him since the day he came over with the movies. With a high fever, I fell asleep and stayed that way for hours. I didn't remember going to bed, but I woke up there, wrapped in a sheet with a washcloth on my head. When I found out that Ian didn't do it, my only conclusion was that Wesley carried me to my room.

"Good morning, Mr. Fredrick," I grinned, entering the classroom early. There were a couple of students in the back with headphones on, already waiting for their least favorite class to be over. I used to have that in common with them, but I was beginning to like chemistry.

"Ms. Winters! I'm glad to see you. Feeling better?" He asked with a cheerful smile.

"Yep! I wanted to talk to you about the test though." I missed almost a full week of studying and the test was set for tomorrow. I hoped to get one more week of time to prepare.

"Ah, yes," he chuckled. "I'm sure you're relieved."

With a tilt of my head, I asked, "Relieved?"

"About the test being postponed," Mr. Fredrick stated as if it were common knowledge. When he saw my confused expression, his brows drew together. "You didn't know?"

"No," I replied, elongating the word.

"Mr. Black came to me yesterday and requested it. He explained to me that you haven't been asserting yourself enough. He also said he was partly to blame due to canceling some of your sessions and the two of you being sick. We both believe you have great potential, so he convinced me to allow you some more time before the test."

I didn't know whether to be angry, ecstatic, or both. Not asserting myself, I mentally scoffed. Mr. Fredrick didn't deserve my wrath, unlike someone else I knew. "Thank you, Mr. F. I really appreciate it."

He nodded with a smile and told me to go ahead and take a seat.

How could Wes say that about me? I thought I was doing really well. I had some questions to ask him before jumping to conclusions.

~ ( s ) ~

That was the plan, anyway. The problem was that I had too much time to replay those words over and over again. So as soon as the lunch bell rang, I was ready to burst through the door of The Lair. Maybe he would break something at my sudden entrance again. 

"Serves him right," I huffed as I shoved the key into the lock. I stomped into The Lair and slammed the door shut behind me.