A Chemical Reaction & Mic Drop

~ A Chemical Reaction & Mic Drop ~

~ ( s ) ( s ) ( s ) ~

I proudly wore my lab coat the following day, unaware of Wesley's decision. Ferra wished me luck as we went in opposite directions to our lockers. She supported me by wearing a white blazer with her outfit. She flipped her hair and gave everyone her most intimidating glare as she passed them.

I smiled at the ones who stared too long or pointed at me while whispering to their friends. There was a small group who pointed and laughed, so I did the same to them. I sounded crazy enough to make them stop and scatter. My smile only faltered when I saw Wesley once again without his lab coat.

Vicki was hovering around him, blatant in her attempts of flirting. I took satisfaction in the fact that he was just as blatantly rejecting her. When he saw me, he straightened from his slouched position against his locker. The possibility that he was waiting for me to arrive softened the blow of his missing coat. I skipped my locker and continued on, approaching him with an air of confidence.

"Good morning!" My cheery greeting was directed at Wesley, as we both seemed to be ignoring the girl next to him.

"Still waving your freak flag, I see," Vicki snickered, inching closer to Wes. He took a step towards me, causing her to stumble into the lockers. I tried not to laugh as Vicki scoffed with a roll of her eyes. She raised her chin in a display of superiority and walked away from us.

"Good morning, Reyna."

Wesley's tone was reserved, so I smiled encouragingly at him. He wasn't avoiding me, nor did he seem to have any residual anger from yesterday. It was a good start.

"How is your experiment going?" His words held an underlying meaning, but they were casual enough that anyone overhearing us would think we were discussing homework.

The translation was, 'You're still trying?'

"I'm hopeful," I answered carefully. 'Of course I am.'

"A hypothesis can be wrong, Reyna. People can even get hurt, if one isn't careful. You should stop," he gave my lab coat a pointed look. 'You're wrong about this, Reyna. You could get hurt. Please stop wearing it.'

"That is not going to happen. In fact, only an idiot would think that about my experiment. I'll never stop trying to get the chemical reaction. Maybe it just needs some time to react," I countered. 'You're an idiot, but I'm not going to give up on you. Maybe you need some time to see that and accept it.'

"Is it really worth it?" He asked. 'Am I really worth it?'

"More than all the Skittles in the world," I answered resolutely.

Wesley studied me for a minute and I let him, putting all my effort in expressing my feelings through my eyes. And I studied him in return, watching for a sign that he still wanted to be with me. That he understood the way I felt about him. When the bell rang, our conversation was over and he brushed past me.

I clicked my tongue, sighing as I watched him merge into the crowd. I wasn't going to give up on him, but our interaction had me dragging my feet to class.

Mr. Fredrick was closing the door, so I darted inside with a quick apology. He welcomed me with a smile that widened when he noticed that I was still wearing my lab coat. When I discreetly handed his key to him, his brows rose in question. He wanted to know if I succeeded.

Offering a weak smile, I mouthed, "Not yet."

I fell into my seat and opened my notebook to take notes that I was too distracted to write down. Mr. F's voice faded as I stared at the blank page in front of me. A feeling of rejection welled up within me as I thought about the exchange.