Epilogue

It took me seven years to be standing where I was today. Nervous, excited energy coursed through my veins as I ran my hands down the white material draped over my body.

This is it, I thought, slowly stepping forward. I smiled as my gaze was focused straight ahead. It was everything I imagined it would be and more. I had the support of my friends and family on my side. They were with me every step of the way.

And then there was Wesley.

My smile widened into a grin. I wouldn't be so happy, or currently walking towards my future, if it wasn't for him. I breathed a blissful sigh when I made it to the end of my path.

I should take a selfie.

I sat on the edge of the large desk-- my desk --gazing around the empty classroom. Then I pulled my phone out of my pocket and turned the camera on. I posed, showing off the rainbow jeweled collar of the lab coat with my 'Drop the Base' t-shirt still on display. I held the phone up and angled to me so the chalkboard and desk would be in the background.

I sent it in a group message, then to individuals outside of the group. My phone buzzed with notifications right away.

Ian: That shirt makes no sense, Reyns. It's bass, not base. But I'm proud of you!

Ferra: Work that lab coat, girl! ...Ian, this is why I'm the beauty and brains, and you're the brawns in this relationship.

Ian: I'm okay with that... ;)

Reyna: Ew! Move 2 a private convo if ur gonna b gross.

Wesley: Agreed. I don't appreciate a flood of texts while I'm working that I would rather not read in the first place.

Another message popped up from him.

Wesley: Unless they're from you, Reyna. Have you gotten more beautiful since this morning?

Reyna: Thx, bby!

Ian: And you think we're gross?! You're gonna pay for that, Black...

Wesley: Oops... Thought you left.

I rolled my eyes and checked my other messages. My mom raved about how proud of me she was and told me to have a good first day of work. I replied, telling her to have fun on her ladies' night with Laura.

They became the best of friends after Wes and I got back together. Those two got into all kinds of trouble, including a speed-dating event that scarred the both of them and me when they shared the details. Once a month, Ferra's mom joined them and they reserved a day at the spa, while the night was spent drinking cocktails and gossiping about whatever mothers gossip over.

There was also a response from Mr. Fredrick. I considered him as my mentor because I was a student teacher in his class. He taught me everything he knew, and also recommended me as a substitute teacher after college. I even filled in for him when he took an overdue vacation. Both were stepping stones to becoming the permanent chemistry teacher at a neighboring high school.

As big a role as he played in my life over the past years, he and my mom frequently saw each other and they would spend hours talking. The way I saw it, their relationship was inevitable. When they began dating a couple of years ago, he wanted me to call him by his first name, Alistair. If the situation wasn't already awkward, that didn’t make it any better. So we compromised on a few things, including what to call him. Now I referred to him as Freddie. 

His message was simple and exactly what I needed to calm my nerves.

Don't teach them to blow anything up on the first day.