Chapter 11

For years my mother poisoned my mind with her cruel words. Each day breaking off a piece of my soul until I had nothing left. Until she left me shattered.

I thought when I left Texas I would be able to leave behind the haunting memories that came with it, but I was wrong. The further I was from her the louder her words became.

And for the first time since I was a little girl, I feel hope blossom in my chest as I realize that maybe my mother was wrong. Maybe I'm not an abomination. Maybe I am worthy of love and maybe just maybe someone will except me for who I am.

For the first time since my childhood, I push back the doubt that bubbles deep inside me. Today I am Braxlyn D'Nae Beckett and today she will not force doubt inside me.

With that thought in mind, and a new found strength I smile just as Zevander opens the door for me.

Stepping out the vehicle we're greeted by valet, in which Zevander hands his keys to, before ushering us inside the beautifully crafted Italian restaurant.

Upon entering the restaurant, I can't help but be in awe at how magnificent everything looks. Looking around I'm met with the rich colors of gold, beige and white, blending beautifully together to create something extravagant.

Above us are high ceilings decorated with gold crystal chandeliers that spark when the light hits it, leaving behind little tiny rainbows on the ceiling.

Ive always been fascinated with the buildings in New York but never have I imagined that the insides would be more beautiful, more extraordinary.

In my thirty years of life I have never been to such a fancy restaurant. We weren't rich growing up but we weren't poor either. I came from a middle class family, if you could call it that. My parents hardly took me with them wherever they went. My mom was always afraid I would embarrass them. Little did she know she was the one they whispered about.

"Zevander, this is beautiful." I say in astonishment.

"I knew you would love it, it has always been my favorite restaurant. I think you'll find the food even better, though." He says, placing his hand on the small of my back, guiding me.

"That's impossible. Nothing can beat this view." I whisper.

"I have a reservation for Hendrix." I hear Zevander speak upon greeting the hostess.

Politely nodding, the hostess looks from Zevander to me offering a kind smile in which I return before leading us to a private area in the back of the restaurant where she instructs us that our waiter will be with us shortly before leaving with a curt nod.

Not even five minutes later the waiter comes to us, placing two menus on the table and asking what we would like to drink. "We'll take two glasses of your best red wine and two glasses of water." Zevander tells the waiter who nods before excusing himself to get our drinks.

"I take it you can speak italian?" I asked Zevander upon looking at the menu.

"How did you know?" He questions.

"It was either that or you've been here so much you memorized everything on the menu. And judging by how fit you are I would say your prefer to eat healthy, minus the occasional cherry pie smothered in vanilla ice cream you would eat once a week. Am I correct?" I ask.

If I could see Zevander's face right now I imagine it would be of shock. Maybe a little disbelief as well.

"Okay... wow. You're good," he praises. "Aside from checking out my body, do you got anything else you'd like to add?"