|80| Capitol Update: Day 4

Aurelia Tempersmith's P.O.V.

It's been a few hours since disaster struck.

The clock is ticking dangerously close to midnight, which means it's almost time go on air.

Even though Aurelius had warned me of his plan, and even though he has an alibi to save himself from Lucius' wrath, I can't help but feel like throwing up regardless.

Aurelius had assumed that at least one of the tributes would reach their breaking point during the feast, and he was right.

My brother had left the game makers' station in the middle of the third round to meet with Lucius in order to discuss the arena transition that would take place after the feast. Lucius couldn't possibly suspect Aurelius for tampering with the audio settings, knowing that he had been in his office during that time.

Cold sweat begins to trickle down the side of my neck as I sift through my notes mindlessly. I can't help but worry for my brother. He's been playing these games like a finely tuned instrument, predicting when these tributes will let down their guard or completely crash and burn, using it to his advantage to manipulate Lucius into believing that we have no ulterior motives.

It's been extremely difficult, and he's had to take risks and make sacrifices in order to keep Lucius off of our radar. 

When Artemis yelled out to the cameras, the entire broadcast shut down all throughout Panem, sending the Capitol citizens into an absolute frenzy. Reporters and mobs began—and still are—swarming all around our headquarters, asking questions and demanding answers. Even though the live cast resumed just under five minutes later, the damage had already been done.

We've been instructed to respond with technological failures. What the citizens of Panem don't know is that the girls' words were purposely left unmuted for all to hear.

Nervous goosebumps emerge across my arms as the clock ticks closer to midnight. Lucius still hasn't come in yet, which means he must be in the game makers' console room with Aurelius and the others. I send out a silent prayer that my brother will remain safe.

I tap my foot nervously beneath my seat, shuffling my papers in order and taking a deep breath. With just two minutes to spare, Lucius and Aurelius both walk in the room. The cameramen and other reporters lower their chatter to hushed whispers, discreetly eyeing the two men as Lucius begins walking in my direction. Behind him, my brother locks eyes with me. He nods once, and I feel some of the tension in my body release.

I stand up, smoothing down my skirt to meet Lucius. He simply stares at me, his facial expressions kept neutral, giving nothing away. He clears his throat.

"I presume you've been informed of your new script by our news writers. Yes, Ms. Tempersmith?" he says in a level voice.

I nod my head affirmatively. "Yes, sir. The acid rain monsoon had been so intense that it crashed all the arena cameras and caused a national power outage." I recite the words on my script from memory.

Lucius nods his head in satisfaction. "You're a very intelligent woman, Ms. Tempersmith, and so I'm sure you know well by now to not speak of the...unfortunate slip up from our tributes, yes?"

"Of course not, President Snow." I reply immediately. "I won't stray from the script. You can count on me."

A pleased grin worms its way on his face. "I'm glad to hear. Now unfortunately, I will not be able to stay here for the Capitol Update like I have been doing so previously. I have some very important matters to attend to with your dear brother. He will be assisting me in an emergency investigation, and so you will have to deliver this update by yourself."