|21| The Games: Day 1

Chance's P.O.V. (D6)

I'm escorted into a room by the peacekeepers. There's four of them surrounding me, making sure I won't try running away or whatever. When I enter, they immediately lock the door behind me.

"Well Chance, this is it!" says my stylist, Peach. She hands me the clothes for the arena. I get a black t-shirt, black pants, black boots with this velcro material at the bottom, and a purple jacket.

I groan out loud. I hate purple.

"So, I'm guessing the arena will be cold?"

"Most likely. The jacket will be your own personal heater in the arena," Peach says, "Just make sure you don't take it off." I nod and get changed.

Thirty seconds.

This is it. I smirk and walk towards the launching tube.

"Chance, I'm not allowed to bet, but I would most definitely bet on you." Peach says.

My lips quirk up. "I know."

Ten seconds.

As soon as I walk into the tube, it shuts. I wave goodbye to Peach as it rises.

As soon as I emerge to the surface, I'm left with my mouth slightly ajar at the sight in front of me. The first word I think of?

Incredible.

Challenge accepted, game makers.

↞↠

Cassidy's P.O.V. (D5)

The moment I'm lifted into the arena, I can't believe what lies in front of me.

There's complete darkness around us. It's pitch black except for our pedestals, the cornucopia, and the sky which resembles the northern lights. The cornucopia is made of crystal or ice, and it's completely see through. Same with our pedestals. The pedestals and the cornucopia are the only things lighting this arena. The ground beneath us is ice. It looks dangerously thin.

So they wanted to have the bloodbath at night on top of a frozen lake...interesting.

"Welcome tributes!" booms a voice, "Good luck, and let the first part of the One Hundredth Annual Hunger Games begin!"

The countdown starts.

Sixty seconds.

Sixty seconds to find Jess and come up with a plan.

To my right is Phoenix from District 2 and to my left is a boy from District 6. I look around for Jess.

Fifty-five, fifty-four, fifty-three...

I frantically glance around until I finally catch sight of him. He's four pedestals to my left. He catches my eye and I point to what looks like a frozen field to the right of the cornucopia. He nods his head and then points to the cornucopia.

He wants to go in.

I immediately tense up. If he's going then I'm going, too. I give him a slight smile and focus on what's ahead of me.

Forty-two, forty-one, forty...

The cornucopia is blinding. I have squint my eyes to see what's inside the shimmering dome. The coldness of this arena is also rather distracting. I look around at my fellow tributes and it looks like each district has their own colored jackets. I'm in bright green and Jess is in purple. I look back down to the ground. I need to be very careful on the ice. If I fall through it then I'm probably going to die of hypothermia.