|52| The Games: Day 1

Coal's P.O.V. (D12)

Okay Coal, breathe, just breathe.

I'm currently being escorted to my launching room. I'm sweating profusely, my heart is racing, and my hands are shaking vigorously.

Three peacekeepers surround me, making sure I don't try and escape.

You've got this, Coal.

We reach the room and the peacekeepers push me in to enter. I stumble in, hearing the door lock behind me. The only other person in the room is my district escort. She smiles.

"Here's your clothes, quickly change into them."

I nod my head and go into the bathroom. I unfold the clothes and the only thing I'm given is black shorts, a brown tanktop, long black boots, and a thin black vest. I strip down and put on the clothes.

I don't have a good feeling about this arena.

After I'm done changing, I walk out of the bathroom and hand my regular clothes to my escort.

"Here," she says, handing me a water bottle, "Drink up."

I take the water bottle and gulp half of it down. Who knows when I'll be able to drink fresh water once I'm up there.

Thirty seconds.

Oh no. I'm not ready to go in. I don't think I'll ever be ready.

My escort smiles at me. "Good luck, Coal!"

I mumble a thanks and head into my tube. As soon as I enter, the door slides shut. I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

After another ten seconds, my tube starts to rise. I'm shaking like crazy now, but I need to maintain my balance so I don't fall off the pedestal.

Once I rise up into the arena, I take a look around. The only word I can think of is—

Wow.

↞↠

Sapphire's P.O.V. (D7)

Well, this is certainly interesting. At least it doesn't seem as bad as the first games.

In front of me is a wide, steel cornucopia. The tricky part is getting there.

The ground surrounding us and the whole cornucopia area is pure earth. This isn't regular dirt—it's more of a dried up, crumbled mud. I know that there's something else to this, they wouldn't make the ground so easy to walk on.

Surrounding us is all forest. No mountains, no desert, no lake, just forest, at least from the view here. It reminds me of back home a little bit.

I think I'll be okay with this. The arena looks simple, but who knows what'll happen.

The earth beneath me looks really strange. Some parts are dark brown, other parts, not so much. The ground looks uneven and bumpy with erosion cracking, probably making it harder to reach the cornucopia.

"Tributes!" a voice booms from the air, "Welcome to the second part of the fourth annual quarter quell! Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor!"

The countdown immediately begins.

Sixty, fifty-nine, fifty-eight...

I wonder whose going to die in the bloodbath. Hopefully not Midnight or Misty. I take a look to my left and right. To my right is one of the guys from District 13 and to my left is Brooklyne from 10. She catches me looking at her and smiles wickedly.