|17| Private Sessions

Aurelius Tempersmith's P.O.V. (Head Gamemaker)

The private sessions start in about five minutes and I couldn't be less interested. Some tributes are pretty good, but most of them are just...not skilled.

As soon as I make sure the sponsors aren't drunk, I call in the first tribute. "Velvet Stonedale."

The fiery redhead from Distrixt 1 walks in confidentially with her signature smirk.

"Velvet Stonedale, District 1." she announces.

I nod my head. "You may begin."

First she dashes to the swords. She picks up two—one in her right and one in her left. The moment she requests computer holograms, three pop up from the ground and dash toward her at full speed. One has a spear, one has a bow, and the other has a machete.

When the spear comes flying at her, she ducks and stabs the hologram in the chest. Then she turns around and decapitates the one with the machete. The last computer model shoots at her, but Velvet rolls to the side and stabs a sword in its skull. I applaude her.

"Very nice, Velvet." She grins and then goes to the knife station. She takes ten knives and throws them at the dummy starting with the heart, to the head, to the arm, to the stomach. She lands bullseye on nearly each one. When she has no more knives, she bows. The sponsors and I clap for her.

"Thank you. You are dismissed." She nods and exits. I call the next name.

"Rust Kanson."

Rust walks in cooly and says, "I'm Rust Kanson. I'm eighteen years old."

"You can start whenever you're ready." I reply.

Rust heads to the axe station. He picks up two of them, similar to what Velvet did. He asks for moving targets so I give them to him. He throws one at the skull, but the other one he misses the center of the heart by about two inches. He curses and picks up another axe. With great force, he throws it at another moving target and hits it right in the chest.

Then he moves onto swords.

He stabs at the dummies very violently, ending by shoving the sword deep into the dummy's head.

"Thank you, Rust. You may leave now."

He strides out, allowing me time to evaluate him.

↞↠

Holly's P.O.V. (D2)

All of District 1 went already, so that means my district is up next.

My hands are folded and my legs are shaking. I'm extremely nervous. Kostas notices and puts his arm around me.

"Phoenix Blossom." the voice calls. I let out a little sigh of relief and mumble a good luck to Phoenix. She shoots me a small smile and enters the room.

I keep thinking of what I should do. I'm definitely going to throw some knives, but that might get a little boring. I might use the axe since I'm pretty decent at wielding one.

I glance around the room and mostly everyone is nervous except for that guy from 6. He's creepy.

Ten minutes pass before the microphone calls out my name. I take a deep breath and stand up.

"Make sure they won't forget you." Kostas reminds me, squeezing my hand. I nod and enter the room. It's good that I'm one of the first ones to go because the sponsors aren't that drunk. At least, not yet.

"Holly Bauquemare. District 2." I say.

"Welcome, Holly. You may begin when you're ready." Aurelius, the head game maker, says. I run to the knife station right away.