|04| Reaping D4

Emerald's P.O.V.

I wake up today not looking forward to face reality. It's reaping day. Also known as my birthday.

It's about 6AM and nobody is up, so I decide to go to the beach, the one place I go to relax. I don't bother changing out of my pajamas. I simply twist my hair up into a messy bun and head out the door.

I walk onto the cold sand and lay back on my elbows to watch the sun rise. It's extremely beautiful here in District 4. It's warm year round, we don't have to worry about running out of food since there's always fish to be caught, and the beach is my backyard. Literally!

I close my eyes and wish I could sit here forever. The smell of the ocean soothes me and I start to feel my eyes close ever so slightly...

"Boo!" I jump up from my spot and shriek bloody murder. Turning around to scold whoever gave me a heart attack, I wipe the glare off of my face when I see who it is.

"Happy Birthday Emerald!" My knight in shining armor, Kristoffer, announces loud and proud.

"You scared me half to death!" I answer by yelling and punching his shoulder.

"Ow ow, sorry for scaring you, your majesty." He rubs his arm and bows sarcastically. I roll my eyes and sit back down. Kristoffer kneels next to me and lays his cheek on the top of my head.

Kristoffer and I have been best friends since he was six and I was five. I remember that day we first met clear as day. It was the middle of summer and I was at the beach, making a sand castle. I never had any friends so I was usually alone. Out of nowhere, an older boy came up to me and kicked the sand in my face. It got in my eyes and I got angry. I stood up and charged towards him to hit him. He only laughed and picked me up like I was a piece of paper, throwing me down onto the ground. I braced the fall with my hands and they started to bleed from the coarse sand. I started to cry until I saw a six year old boy tackle my bully to the ground. The six year old kicked him in the side and came running towards me.

"Are you okay?" he asked worriedly. I shook my head no and continued to cry. He sat down next to me and hugged me until I fell asleep. When I woke up, he was still awake with me in his arms. He gave me a piggyback ride home and when he left, he asked if we could be friends. I excitedly said yes and hugged him.

We've been best friends ever since. Then when I was fifteen, he asked me to go to the school dance with him. It wasn't until he kissed me while we were slow dancing when I realized he was the one I wanted to be with. We're still together to this day.

I stare out into the ocean until Kristoffer places a small box in my hands. "Here's to your seventeenth birthday," he whispers.

I look up at him, smile, and slowly open the box. I look down at my present in awe. He bought me the most beautiful silver necklace with a picture of the two of us inside. Then I look on the back and smile when I see what's written on it. "Emerald, you are my eternal ray of sunshine. Love, Kristoffer."

My smile widens even more. "You look ugly in this picture." 

He rolls his eyes. "Really? No 'thank you Kristoffer, I love you so much and I'm so glad you saved me when we were kids!'" He says, trying to mimic my voice.

"That sounds nothing like me, you absolutely idiot." He then proceeds to pick me up, flipping me over his shoulder. I yelp and smack his back. He just laughs and carries me over to my house. Once we get inside, I'm greeted with a great big cake, a huge breakfast, and a beautiful dress.

"Happy birthday, honey!" My parents cheer in unison. With tears in my eyes, I run up to them and hug the life out of them. I look at the emerald dress in absolute awe. "Is that for me?"