|20| Pre-Game Feast

Vanellope's P.O.V. (D6)

Us tributes are sitting alongside a giant glass table filled with food beyond the wildest of dreams. There looks to be at least fifty different kinds of meat and thirty different pots of soup along with steamed vegetables, mashed potatoes, delicious buttery rolls, and so much more food I can't even name!

Although I never eat too much, I don't pass along this opportunity. I pile my plate sky high, grabbing whatever can fit in my small hands. I feel bad knowing that I probably won't even finish half of this, but yet again, I'm sure the Capitol is used to wasting food all the time. They won't mind.

Man, if I was back in District 6, all this food could easily feed a large portion of the population. Why can't the President focus on more important things, such as feeding the starving people from the districts?

I try not to dwell on it too much considering the fact I will be entering the arena in less than twenty-four hours. I sigh and take a seat next to Hope. Katerina and Pepper sit across from us.

"Are you nervous for tomorrow?" I ask Hope. She shrugs her shoulders.

"I think everybody's a little afraid, even if they don't act like it. It's the fear of the unknown." Through all the chatting and laughing, I hear somebody clink their glass, gaining our attention.

"Tributes!" booms the voice of the President, "I would like to propose a toast to you all for your bravery and sacrifice. I wish you all the best of luck tomorrow, cheers!" He holds up his wine glass. The rest of us do the same.

"Cheers." I mutter sarcastically. I sniff the strange beverage before taking a small sip. As soon as I do, I immediately retract the glass from my lips. Too bitter.

Well, hopefully the four of us will be able to survive the bloodbath tomorrow. And if not, I don't exactly have a backup plan. I guess we'll find out what happens.