Chapter 39

"Breaking into the firewall wasn't easy but I managed to hack into her PC and phone and get some things, all the things I could find are in this flash drive," the hacker handed the flash drive over to her. She took it and handed him some bundles of dollars.

"I see," she eyed the stick and slipped it into her pocket and walked out.

Let's see what you're hiding Marilyn.

~~~~~~

Two days later..

•••••••••••••••••
Dahlia's POV
•••••••••••••••••

Lacy have been absent for two straight days without a call or something.

I have gone to ask Matteo about her and he told me she took a sick leave but something seems off.

I thought as I pack my bag and left the company. I got into my car and drove down to Lacy's address. Maybe we could eat some ice cream together.

On reaching the address, it was a small homely bungalow with flower pots at the yard and patio. I came down from my vehicle and inspected the vicinity. The flowers were withered showing signs of lack of care, if not abandonment.

"Haven't seen her since two days ago," I heard a voice and turned instantly to meet a curly dark brown haired man with pale skin accessing me with his strikingly green eyes.

"Who are you?" I stared at the guy who went and stood beside me staring at the house.

"I'm Mark Carter, her neighbor."

"Never heard of you," I said and walked to the front door ringing the doorbell.

"I've rang that several times but no one answered, only to receive a text from her saying she was out of town," he said and walked away.

But she called in sick.

"She said she was out town?" He nodded and walked away. I shook her head deep in thought and took a hair pin. Looking around, I effortlessly pick the door open and stepped in.

"Shit!" I gasped as I stepped in shutting the door almost immediately. The living room was in disarray. A shattered plant pot laying close to the base of the staircase, the furniture were scattered in different angles suggesting a fight or rather, a struggle.

"What the hell happened in here?"

I walked up to couch on sighting a familiar handbag.

"Shit! It's Lacy's," I searched the bag but couldn't find her phone. While searching, my eyes diverted to the red stain on the carpet.

What the hell is that?

"Blood?" My heart flew to my throat as soon as I realized what it was. The blood had a trail which led to the kitchen. I followed the trail to another set of disaster. The kitchen was total disarray, plates, glass cups, spoons and utensils lay about.

I took my phone and tried calling her phone but it went to voicemail.

After trying to call the phone several times, I heard a creaking noise coming upstairs. Her room! I sped up to her to find the door busted.

"Lacy? Are you in there?" I called out and no one answered. I entered into the room and found it in an equal disaster, bedsheet off the bed, chairs turned upside down, the curtains were pulled down but nothing was as shocking as I what caught my eyes next.

Sitting on the carpet was pool of dried blood staring at my freaking god-damned face!

I paled instantly and was about dialled the emergency number but a message came immediately from a private number.

If you want to see your friend again come to 109 district lane route 9, by 10:30pm, bring no one with you.

••••••••••

"Where have you been? I was worried about you," Matteo held my face, a relief expression etched on his face. God I have fallen in love with this man, I want all this to end but I can't, I still need him. This isn't about a revenge for an attempted murder on me but something more, more that needs to be revealed.

"I...I," I thought hard about what I was going to say to him, "well...I went to visit Thalia, you know her right? I haven't seen her since you know," I struggled hard not to tug at my hair. He just stared at me for awhile.

"You are lying," he said still staring at me. I gently remove his hands from my face and he wrapped it around my waist.

"Where did you go? Lie to me again and you won't like the consequences," his voice went octaves lower than before as he inches his face toward mine.

"I...um..I met Jason at a cafe, we had a lot of things to talk about and I lost track of time," I blurt out, not like it was a lie, I really did meet him at a cafe....after I went to Lacy's.

"So you prefer his company to mine," an incomprehensible look filled his eyes and it darkened.

"What? That's no what I...."

"Have he kissed you?" Matteo asked, his eyes darkening the more.

"Huh?"

And he smashed his lips on mine. His hands in my hair was the most inexplicable feeling I have ever felt.

"Ma.. Matteo," I moaned and disengaged from him to catch my breath.

"Does he taste better than me?" He growled and lift me up. I wrapped my legs around his waist and he slammed his lips back to mine. I wanted to push him away but Just this once. I told myself and kissed him back running my hand through his hair.

"Fuck, you'd be the death of me," he said in between the kiss. I didn't know where he was taking me to till I felt my butt in a flat, cold surface. The kitchen counter.

"Rafael," I gasped as I felt his lips on my neck and hands on my breasts. He sucked hard on the skin leaving a hickey and making me moan out again.

"What are you doing?" I hummed and forced down another moan threatening to come out. A hot sensation pooled in between my legs.

"Marking my territory," he whispered softly against my neck. My heart leaped as soon as I heard what he said, a funny feeling hung in my stomach and heat rushed downwards to my core.

The mission! I pushed him away and jumped off the kitchen counter, "I...I need to use the bathroom," I said and rushed away as quickly as possible.

--------------------------------------------------

Well now we know that Dahlia is in love with Matteo, it's just that she isn't expressive when it comes to love, compared to other feelings.

What happens in the next chapter? Even I don't know yet.

😘😘