💖chapter fifteen💖

MONICA

July 18th..

The rays of the sun through the window pierced into my eyes waking me up.

"Good morning mom", I greeted as soon as I noticed her arranging my cottons.

"Good morning darling. Hope you slept well".

"Yes mommy", I said using the back of my hands to wipe my eyes. "What are you doing here mom?"

"It's past 10 sweetheart and you are still sleeping. What's wrong with you darling? Are you ill or what?"

"Nothing mommy and am not ill. Just that last night was fun and I came home late".

"So tell me, how was the prom and who was your date?"

"Raymond of course, mom", I laughed getting down from my bed. "Give me few minutes let me brush my teeth mommy".

"Hurry, your breathe is deadly", she teased holding her nose.

.....

"Ahhhhhhhhhh. I feel so fresh", I said as soon as I came out from the bathroom.

"Am still here waiting for the gist", mom announced.

"Actually mom, am sure you attented prom back in those days. You should know what usually happens during prom night", I laid down beside her.

"The truth is I never attended any party during school. You know, am not the going out type so tell me all I did to know".

"So sorry mom. But still, you should have gone for the prom. Since you didn't go to prom, where then did you meet my father".

"Don't change the topic dear moreover I don't want to talk about your father".

We spent hours gisting about the prom down to the days when she was a teenager. What surprised me most was she didn't mention anything about dating any guy even though she had lots of admirers.

"Am hungry mom. Let's go down for breakfast", I said while my tummy kept on grumbling.

"Same here baby. What do you want for breakfast?", she asked

"Lunch you mean because it's already past 1pm", I said staring at the wall clock.

"Guess we spent our morning gisting", she smiled leaving the room. "Get ready for lunch baby".

"Alright mom".

I quickly dashed into the bathroom for a warm long bath.

...

"Honey, lunch will soon be ready. Can you please get your ass down here and set the table", mom shouted from downstairs.

"Coming mom. Will be down soon", I shouted making sure he heard me.

I hurriedly wore an armless top with a short skirt. Packed my hair in a pony tail with an old hair band and disappeared through the stairs to the dinning table.

"Wow, you're indeed very fast dear", mom said surprised seeing the table set so quick. "Go get the dishes and glass cups baby".

"Mommy, why don't you want to talk about my father. Even when I ask uncle, he would say I should ask you instead. Is there something I need to know", I spoke in the middle of the meal.

"Observe your table manners love", she said obviously not wanting to talk about him.

"Okay then. I will surely ask you after lunch", I smiled and continued eating.

"Thanks mom, the pasta and salad were deliciously made", I said kissing her forehead.

"You're welcome darling", she smiled.

I cleared the table, cleaned it and washed the dishes. Just as I was about to leave the kitchen I heard mom call from the parlour.

"Get me my pawpaw from the fruit side of the fridge".

"Alright mom".

"So mom, about what we discussed early. Can you now tell me how and when you met my father", I said handing the pawpaw over to her.

"Not now honey", she replied with her eyes fixed to the TV.

"Mom", I yelled.

"Yes baby".

"Can you just answer me so this curiosity can stop please".

"Not now love. After this series, I will tell you. You know this is my favourite show", she said with her eyes still fixed on the TV.

"Alright. I will wait", I said joining her to watch the show.

Minutes later..

"Now the show is over, can you tell me", I said blinking my eyes.

"Oh stop that. It won't work on me tonight" she said biting her fruit.

"Okay, but don't you think am old enough to know already. I will turn 18 in two weeks and yet I don't even know anything about my father yet".

"Baby, don't say that. Come over here", she motioned me and I sat down beside.

"You see..", she started telling me. I listened and didnt know when tears began to drop from my eyes while trying to dry up mom's cheeks.

First, I thought the painful part was the maltreatment from my dad and his mistress until she told me about the death of my grandparents.

I couldn't imagine my mom went through all that in the hands of my father. The fact my mother suffered hurt but my grandparents death hurt more.  My grandma who heard about my mom being pregnant at a very young age had a heart attack who died days after while my grandpa who couldn't handle the death of his wife died weeks after she was buried leaving my mom and her senior brother who is now a catholic priest.

Thanks to my uncle, he assisted my mom in taking care of me each time she went for lectures. If not, she would have been a drop out.

"I'm really sorry mom, I didn't know you went through all this. If I had known, I wouldn't have opened the past which you have tried so hard to bury", I hugged her so tight sobbing.

"It's okay baby. It's not your fault. You know, you are the best thing that has happened to me and am a proud mother to have a child like you", I said smiling trying her best not to sob.

"I love you baby".

"I love you more mom and I will try my best not to disappoint you".

"I know baby".

......

Another update for you beloved readers ❤❤

Am so sorry for the way I started this chapter. I know you all were expecting the prom in details. Am really sorry💔💔💔..

But I hope you enjoyed it though. 😁😁😁

Vote🗳 if you feel awesome 🌟⭐🌟😎😎.

Have a lovely night❤❤😍