chapter 21.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

❝ our hands lost grip,
under the sudden pressure,
taken by the wind,
we fell into a violent night. ❞

- raven's feathers, nina june.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

It had been a year since that fateful day; the death of the Kamado family, Nezuko turning into a demon and Tanjiro beginning his journey as a demon slayer. In that time, Y/N continued on with missions and doing their usual Pillar stuff, occasionally meeting up with the other Pillar and to spend time with them.

Currently, Y/N wasn't on a mission, rather, they were sitting down with Gyomei on the engawa of his estate, reading a book. Y/N felt a tad bit lonely in their estate, so made the trip up to Gyomei's and forced him to sit with them whilst they read. Since Gyomei couldn't read, he just decided to train.

The company was enough for the both of them.

Since Y/N had finished the 'Original God' book, quite satisfied with how it ended, they moved onto the next book Giyuu had recommended – 'Botchan' by Sōseki Natsume. Y/N was quite enjoying the story and how its main theme of morality, whilst using humour and sarcasm to engage the audience.

Although, the h/c haired was having trouble focusing. They have had some troubling emotions lately concerning a few Pillars and they didn't know what it meant, and they wanted to ask Gyomei, but they didn't want to bother him. Not that his old student could keep anything from him.

Gyomei stopped his training for a second, and sat himself next to Y/N. Setting his weapon down next to him gentle, he took a deep breathing before nudging Y/N, "So what's bothering you, little moon?"

"Hmm," Y/N hummed, they set their book down, making sure to mark it, a look of contemplation fixed on their features, "I am unsure. There is something I do not understand."

"What don't you understand?"

Y/N put their hand under their chin, thinking deeply, "Emotions are hard to figure out,"

"What are you having trouble figuring out?" Gyomei asked, "Who do you feel this with or where, what happens when you are with them or in that situation?"

Gyomei had had to do this a couple of times with his old student, considering Y/N had not really grown up with proper shelter, or schooling, at least from what they could recall. On top of the fact that they had lost most of their memories, they still had trouble trying to figure out things. Gyomei made it is mission to help Y/N whenever they were stuck, and so whenever his old student was stuck, they would go to Gyomei for guidance.

"It is with some people. I feel free, maybe?" Y/N responded, then added after, "I can be myself, although I am still figuring myself out. My heart beats faster, and I feel warm. I want to protect them and not let them get hurt."