chapter 43

❝ maybe next year i'll have no time,
to think about the questions to address,
am i the one to try to stop the fire? ❞

- what you know, two door cinema club.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

The first thing they saw when Y/N opened their eyes early morning the next day was a hair that resembled flames.

Ah.

Y/N smiled at the flame-haired man who was looking down at the hand he held delicately, playing with their fingers to occupy himself. His hair looked like he had just woken up - messy and tangled, random tuffs of hair sticking out. His dark under-eye was very prominent under his one good eye, the other eye had a red and orange eyepatch over it, probably made by Tengen at some time... at least they were matching now.

"Hey there,"

Their voice made his head snap up, his one red owl-like eye widening in shock, then, a beaming smile.

"Y/N-san!"

The smile fell from Kyoujuro's face as fast as it had been put on, the hand in their's gripping tighter as a frown replaced the happy smile.

"Where were you?" He asked in a whisper, "I would have... tried to find you, but... my wounds confined me to bedrest for the month. Where were you, Y/N-san?"

Y/N only smiled, bringing their left hand out of the hand-hold, and placed it on his cheek, stroking their thumb over his cheek, "I was safe. That's all you need to know for now, Kyoujuro-kun. You deserve a better explanation, and I promise to give one as soon as I talk with Oyakata-sama. You,  Tanjiro-kun, Zenitsu-kun and Inosuke-kun, you all deserve a real explanation. So do the other Hashira."

The retired Hashira looked into their e/c eyes, as if searching for something. Once he found what he was looking for, he nodded and put a small smile on his face.

"I'm just glad you're alive," He spoke but in a whisper again, he looked down when he continued, unable to keep the eye contact, "All I could think about what the fact I was the one who had killed you, not the demon who put his hands through you, it was me. You jumped in the save me... If I had been stronger... faster, I would have been able to kill him."

Y/N let out an exhale of laughter, "But Kyoujuro-kun... you were strong enough. You were fast," They placed their fingers under his chin and forced his head to face them, "You used a lot of your stamina against the demon on the train. You protected all the passengers as is our duty to do so, you protected the trio and me from the demon until he exhausted you. I only did what I thought was right, so do not blame yourself, okay Kyo-kun? Do not blame yourself."

Tears gathered in his eye, a watery huff leaving him.

"I'm alive," Y/N continued, smiling as Kyoujuro tried to wipe his tears away, "That's all that matters. Focus on the now and present, if you want forgiveness, well, then I forgave you the second you thought you needed it, my flame."