chapter 24.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

❝ a strip of water's spread in the setting sun,
half the river's emerald, half is red.
i love the third night of the ninth month,
the dew is like pearl; the moon like a bow. ❞

- bai juyi.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

"You did well to return," Kagaya spoke, stroking an out-of-breath crow, "So, most of my children have been slaughtered? We might find the Twelve Kizuki there, then. It seems I'll have to send in the Hashira."

Giyuu, Y/N and Shinobu sat behind the leader of the corps, listening. Both of their master's children look back at them and nod.

"Giyuu... Y/N... Shinobu,"

"Understood!" The three uttered in unison, looking forward.

"If only humans and demons could get along." Shinobu said, "Don't you agree, Tomioka-san?"

"Impossible... as long as demons eat humans." Giyuu replied, emotionless as ever.

A sigh was heard, their heads turning to the one seated in the middle – Y/N, "Do you two ever get tired of bickering?" They stood up and glanced back at the two of them, "We have a mission, no?"

The three pillars all left the headquarters and made their way towards their new mission – Mt. Natagumo.

-

The three had finally made it to the mountain and were now surrounded by dead demon slayers. Y/N sighed in disappointment. So many good people, good slayers now dead.

"Were you acquainted with any of them?" Shinobu questioned, "There doesn't seem to be any survivors around here. We were informed that several rookie Mizunoto had joined the battle, but they might be dead by now, don't you think?"

Both Y/N and Giyuu glanced at each other, and ignored Shinobu's statement, not wanting to think such thoughts.

"Let's go."

Running through the forest more, the three stayed silent. Watching out for demons or more demon slayers, until Shinobu once again broke it, a teasing lilt to her voice, "Isn't the moon lovely, Y/N-san?"

Y/N continued to ignore her, mind too far into the zone of a mission.

"I forgot how cold you could be during missions, Y/N-san! How mean!" Shinobu smiled as her haori fluttered as she ran next to Y/N, who was still in the middle. Turning her teasing to Giyuu, she continued, "Since we've been given this joint mission, let's try to get along."

"My only concern is slaying demons," Giyuu voiced sternly, face unmoving even with Shinobu's teasing. His small statement brought an exhale of mild amusement out of Y/N.