AKAZA's ending

AKAZA/HAKUJI:

AKAZA/HAKUJI:

the follower

↪ song: experience by ludovico einaudi.

❝i think when we met again, i knew it was over - not over in a sense that my life was over, rather... i knew you were the right person. i knew it in my heart, but... i knew we would never have enough time. right person, not enough time... rather poetic for us, no?❞

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

The first thing Hakuji heard was humming; familiar humming that took him a second to recognise.

Then it clicked.

"Y/N?!"

A soft laugh filled his ears, the sound that of birds chirping in a chorus of song. Beautiful against the crackling fire from behind him, and making them look like an angel in front of the light that blinded him.

"Hey Akaza," Y/N smiled, standing in front of him, alive; laughing and smiling. "Or is it Hakuji now?"

"I- Wha- Wh- When-"

Y/N stifled another laugh, covering their mouth with a fist, ends of their lips curling upwards.

"I've been waiting for you, isn't that obvious?"

"B-But... it's been nearly fifty years...?"

They shrugged, "Time works differently here. Don't ask how."

Knitting his brows together, he asked the question; "But... won't you go to Heaven? Why are you waiting for me?"

"Hmm, that is a question," Y/N smiled cryptically, and stepped closer, and closer, until they stood right in front of him and placed a hand on his cheek, "I will go with you, is it not obvious?"

"You can't! I'm going to Hell, quite literally!" Hakuji exclaimed, outright confused and hysterical.

"I know," Was the simple response.

"So don't come with me."

Y/N sighed, and stroked a thumb over his cheek, "Hakuji; I waited over fifty years for you, though it only felt like a few hours. I did not wait to be turned away just because you do not wish to pull me through Hell. I am going with you. I would cast myself into the fiery pits of hell, through the scarlet gates of the infernal abyss, just to be with you."

"But he'll be there..." Hakuji tried one last time to persuade them.

"Muzan be damned! We never had enough time in the real world, so let us make time here. I want to be with you Hakuji, and it does not fucking matter where, just as long as we are together."

The blue-eyed man stared at the h/c haired with shaky, watery eyes. It only took a second more for the man to burst into tears, clutching onto Y/N as if they were a lifeline; as if holding them held the pieces of his humanity together. 

Even if he had already gained it back way before then, it still felt like sometimes, being human wasn't enough to actually be human.

"Okay, okay." Hakuji sniffled, still holding on to them, "Let's go together."

They kept hugging for a moment longer, then pulled away. Y/N interlaced their fingers together, tight and not willing to let go.

Hakuji started walking backwards, still facing Y/N. It was only when they nodded, letting him know they wouldn't let go, that he turned away and faced the roaring flames.

They was right; no matter what happens, they were finally together, and they could make time for all the time they had lost. Even in if was in Hell.