chapter 69

❝ nobody's your friend at the start or at the end, no
you can't take them with you when you're dead, no. ❞

- born alone die alone, madalen duke.

[ seeing twice and gi-dle was so fun

[ seeing twice and gi-dle was so fun. my voice was basically gone for two days straight. i'm also heading back to uni next week... time goes by so fast. ALSO STRAY KIDS WON VMA'S BEST KPOP LETS GOOOOO!!!

anyways... enjoy the chapter guys! :)]

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

Y/N only huffed, crossing their arms as Kanao sat in front of her teacher, her master- her sister.

"If we encounter the Upper Rank 2 demon who killed our sister, you and I will fight it. Y/N may be there, but we cannot guarantee that they will be able to there to help you." Shinobu started, placing a hand on her heart. Face uncharacteristically serious, void of her usual, cheerful - although fake - smile. "But the first condition is... that I have to get eaten by the demon and die."

Kanao looked at her sister in shock, dark violet eyes shaking, taking a quick glance at Y/N, who was stood leaning on a wall with on their feet placed on the wall, a frown on their face. Akaza stood next to them, his arms crossed as he stared at them in worry. "Why? If we fight together, I'm sure... We... We can win."

"You need to throw away such soft thinking right here and now." Shinobu only stared at her Tsugoko, voice firm and unchanging, one she hadn't used on Kanao before - or anyone, causing Kanao to jolt as she could only assume what Shinobu had done to make her this confident in her plan. "At the very least, the power of an Upper-Rank demon is comparable to three Hashira." She waved a hand at the demon who still stood silently next to the Moon Hashira who grimaced, casting her eyes downwards in thought of her late sister.  "However, according to information from our sister, Y/N and Akaza-san, this demon is a glutton with an abnormal obsession for eating women."

Shinobu sighed, silent for a second before looking back up at Kanao, "He'll certainly eat a Hashira with exceptional physical abilities and an excellent body. Especially if it's a woman."

Kanao let her sweat drop, unable to actually believe what Shinobu was saying... She was to die on purpose? Looking at Y/N for confirmation, who only continued to look at the wooden floor, Akaza's hand on their shoulder.

The look on their face only confirmed it.

"No... No."

Shinobu couldn't even muster a fake smile as she continued, "At present I have a high concentration of wisteria flower poison circulating through my blood and internal organs, even down to the tips of my fingernails."

"Then I'll do it too⁠—"

"Impossible." Shinobu interrupted her before Kanao could continue, "For one thing, there is no time. It takes over a year to reach this state. You must continually take in the wisteria flower poison."