chapter 33.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

❝ you were running through me like water,
now the feeling's leaving me dry,
these days we couldn't be farther,
so how's it feel to be on the other side? ❞

- people you know, selena gomez.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

"Y/N-SAN!"

It was as if time had stopped for everyone; watching as the Moon Pillar choked on their own blood. It dripped down their chin and splattered on the floor. Kyoujuro lifted his head off from the ground where Y/N had pushed him, coughing up blood himself.

Smiling, Y/N lifted their bloodstained hands to Akaza's cheeks who only stared, yellow-golden eyes swirling with anguish, desperation and hopelessness.

"Y/N?" He whispered, afraid that if he spoke any louder, it wouldn't be true. "You're alive?"

They only hummed in response, still keeping the smile on their face. "It's been a few years, hasn't it? Akaza-kun."

"B—But...Wha—what?" Akaza choked on his own words, his arm still puncturing Y/N's stomach. "I thought you died!"

"Haha..." Y/N let out a soft chuckle, "I will probably die now." Right after they had finished that sentence, they coughed out blood, staining the floor even more. Creating a puddle of blood beneath them.

"No, no, no." Akaza denied, staring in distraught at the fist that was rammed through their abdomen, "No... no, no no. I promised you!"

Y/N's legs buckled under the weight, bringing Akaza with them.

Kyoujuro stood up and ran to them, not even glancing at Akaza, who was still mumbling 'no's' under his breath, not wanting to believe what was happening. "Y/N-san!"

"Hehe, good." Y/N smiled brightly at the Flame Pillar, "You're alive."

"But you're not! We need to get you immediate medical attention!" Kyoujuro exclaimed, his lips pulled in a frown, tears gathered in his eye. "You can still make it!"

"There's no—No point," Y/N coughed out more blood, staining their lips further, only giving him a pained closed-eyed smile. "Can I ask a favour of you Kyo—Kyoujuro-kun?"

"Anything."

"Can you pr—protect our three juniors for me?" They asked, looking over at Inosuke and Tanjiro who were beginning to run over to them. "They'll nee—need your guidance."

"Of course, but you'll be there too, Y/N-san!" Kyoujuro yelled, his hand on their shoulder, a determined glint in his one good eye, "You can't give up hope! Kakushi are on their way!"

"Hmm..." The Moon Pillar hummed, "Save your stren—strength, you're still se—severely wounded, Kyo-kun."

Just as he was about to reply, Y/N opened their mouth to speak again, just as the sun was peaking up over the horizon, "Akaza-kun, the s—sun will be up soon."