C h a p t e r F i v e

The Big Pair on The Standart 1911/1912

September 1912
Church was finished and me and the Tsarina left. We took the carriage home. Many people around the streets surrounded us. It was terribly chilly. There was police blocking them off, everyone yelling or shouting. The Tsarina sat in the carriage first and I followed her after with Anna coming last.

When we got back to the palace the Tsar announced that we'd be going on the Standart to visit family in England. Everyone was excited about going on the royal yacht, but I wasn't. Marie started to gush about the soldiers and Tatiana whispered something in Olga's ear and she blushed shoving Tatiana playfully.

We would be leaving tomorrow so everyone went rushing to pack. All of everyone's best dresses or suits were packed. The Tsarina helped me and the sisters pack. When I mean helped she told us what we could bring and we we had to leave. We finally finished. All of the clothes we brought were matching like the Tsarina liked.

Soon dinner came around and the Tsarina decided that we should eat with the rest of the family. "Mama?"Tatiana said. "Yes my sunshine?". "How will you go to mass while we are on the Standart?"Tatiana asked. The Tsarina's eyes went wide. "Of course! I must telegram Father Grigori!"Tsarina almost yelled out. She excused herself and left, leaving me and Alexei with the rest of the family and a few ladies in waiting that were close to the family I guessed.

"Papa, will I be able to help steer the ship this time?"Alexei asked as he took a bite of his sandwich. "We will see son."the Tsar replied. I sat playing with my potatoes looking down not making eye contact, since my last chat with the Grand Duchesses didn't go great. "Valentina, How are you feeling my darling?"the Tsar asked.

My stomach tightened. I was so nervous to reply to the Tsar since I've never spoken to him in a conversation except the night I was brought here. Also he looked very intimidating to me at least. "I am doing very well, papa." I forced out. A smile grew on his face.

It has been 2 days since they told their plans on sending me to church. I managed to skip one of Rasputin's prayer services. They wanted me to have a head start and start on Saturday but he got sick and I got a pass. And now I get to skip because of the trip to England. I figured that if I was going to get out of being around Rasputin I had to adjust quickly to calling them mama and Papa.

After breakfast was my family tutoring. What it means is that a tutor comes to reteach me about my ancestors. Which I don't even recall ever knowing. The only ones I knew was the Tsar, his family including his parents, and Catherine the Great. I knew a few of things about Russian history because I attended Saturday school for Russian kids and history was a heavily implied subject. The last months I attended they focused heavily on the last Tsar Of Russia.

I was about to enter the room when Grand Duchess Tatiana came up to me, "Valentina, I asked mama to join you for tutoring today. She agreed so you will have company today."she smiled. I awkwardly nodded my head and smiled back. I opened the door and was greeted by my Tutor, Pavel. The three of us sat down at the round table and started to learn. It went by faster then usual with Tatiana around.

When we ended the lesson I left the room with one of the ladies in waiting escorting me to the Tsarina. Tatiana got there before us because I overheard their conversation. "Mama you have been working so hard since the incident let me help you. I'll watch over her for today while you rest. Look your health is declining because of this! You have constant migraines."Tatiana explained.

The Tsarina sighed and silence fell for a while. "Your majesty."the lady in waiting spoke. Both of them turned around looking at the lady in waiting and me. The Tsarina got out of her chair and muttered to Tatiana, "Very well then.". "Valentina! Come here my child."the Tsarina ordered. I walked up to them. "Tatiana will look after you for the rest of the afternoon."she stated. I nodded my head. "Anna will be around to watch over both of you if anything happens.". Tatiana and me nodded our heads.

The Tsarina kissed both of our foreheads and left. Tatiana looked at me. "Sit down."she ordered. I sat down not saying a word to her. "Valentina?". "Yes?". "Can you tell me about your time before us? What was it like? What did you see?"she asked. "Why must you be so curious?"I asked. "Anyone would be amazed or curious."she answered. I shrugged and started it to tell her. About the inventions of TVs, phones, etc. I told her about my old life. I told her everything I knew and missed.

At the end Tatiana sat amazed. "There are such things to come?!"She asked. I nodded looking around the room. Anna has not come yet which was a little strange. "You don't believe me."I stated looking at her. Tatiana looked at me in pity. "Valentina, I would love to believe you but what if this was all a projection of the brain?"she replied. I started to ponder for a while until I came up with a plan of proving that I was speaking the truth.

"Tatiana! I know how to prove you that I am not lying!"I exclaimed. "How is that?". "In 1914 The Great War will break out and Russia will join."I stated. "A war?"Tatiana repeated with a concerned expression. "Yes a war.". "Let's make a deal, if the war does come. You must believe me. If it doesn't you can treat me as ill as possible."I took out my hand for a hand shake and we shock hands concealing the deal. "Valentina I must write this in my diary as a reminder."she said. My eyes lit up.

"Did I have a diary?"I asked. "Yes! All of us do."Tatiana replied. "Do you might know where it is?"I asked. Tatiana shook her head no. I sighed and leaned back to the couch. "Check your room, it might be there."Tatiana advised.