C h a p t e r F o u r t e e n

Photo: Grand Duchess Tatiana 1912

October 1912
I sat at the table frustrated. Across from me sat my tutor, Asmund. He was teaching me Danish. It was my second month in Denmark. It was beautiful but cold. It was October, almost November. Dreadful September has ended. "Now say your name and favorite color at least."Asmund sighed annoyed of me. I pitted him but didn't really care for learning Danish. I had to put to much effort for it. "Mit navn er Valentina. Min yndlingsfarve er rød."I slowly said. After two hours of frustration he smiled, "Excellent!". We concluded our tutoring session and I got to leave. My lady in waiting, Ella, waited for me. I walked out as she smiled taking me to my grandmother.

Grandmother sat drinking tea as she listened to the man that played the piano for her. The room smelled like lavender. "Your highness."Ella said. The man stopped playing until Grandmother signaled him to continue. I went over and sat next to her and started to fiddle with the necklace Tatiana gave me. It was a saint, Juliana of Lazarevo."You are going to meet your aunt today. She is coming in to visit from Russia. You also got letters from your family."she stated, handing over multiple letters. I took them from her.

I gave my grandmother a hug and left the room walking over to my own with Ella following me. I go to my room. It wasn't as big as my old one that I shared with Marie and Anya but it was big. I walked over to my bed. It was still a military cot with blankets but I didn't mind since sleeping with pillows made my neck cramp. The room's walls were a light pink. Anastasia and Mare's painting hanged directly across from my bed.

I sat on my bed and opened up Olga's letter first:

My Dearest Vanya,
How are you? I hope well. A lot has changed since you have left. Mama has been more gloomy as well as T. Anya has been more disobedient then usual. I think because she wants to distract everyone from the pain. I know you won't get this letter until later but we were in Spala and Baby was playing with Anya and he hurt himself very severely. It sent everyone in panic. Mama telegramed Father Grigori and he told her to calm down and that Alexei wouldn't die. Very quickly we went back to St Petersburg so Father Grigori could help Alexei. We might come and visit soon! I can't wait to see you darling! I pray for you!
- Olga

I looked at the paper worried of Alexei's health but I knew nothing wrong would happen to him. I opened Tatiana's next.

Dearest Valentina,
I hope you are doing fine. I miss you very much. Everyone is acting different since you left. I am sure Olga wrote about everything. Did you like the present I got you? It is St Juliana of Lazarevo. She had many misfortunes happen in her life but still stuck to being kind and helping others. I hope she is looking after you from heaven. Even when times get difficult don't forget to be kind. Mama said we might come visit soon. I can't wait to see you again. It is lonely without you. I hope you are enjoying Denmark! Write me back
-Tanya

I sadly smiled at her letter. I did indeed miss Tatiana the most. She seemed to understand me more and know more then the others did. I wished she was here with me. She and I wouldn't be seeing each other in a while. I moved onto reading Marie's letter.

Hello darling sister!
How are you doing? Is Denmark nice? It's getting colder in Russia. Right now we are staying in Livadia. Father Grigori helped Alexei get better. He is still on bed rest. We all miss you.
-Marie

I smiled at her letter and opened Anastasia's letter. It never came across me of how important Anastasia is. Even after the tragedy she influenced society in many ways and I had the opportunity to meet her.

Dear Val,
It is a funny nickname I gave since you left. Olishka always hesitant when ever we sign papers. Instead of OTVMA it's OTMA. It's strange Mama always insists that we add the V although you aren't here. It's like you are gone again. But longer then 5 months. Everyone misses you. We are going to visit soon, I think. Write back!
- Anastasia

There were no more letters. I was disappointed that Mama didn't send me anything. I missed her very much. But Anastasia's letter was different. Five months? For them I was out for five months. No one told me how I was gone or how long.

I sat writing in my diary. I haven't looked at any of the old entries. But I needed to write down what I knew now. I was done when Ella called me to change. She helped me get into a light pink dress. It looked fancier then the one I had on. "Let's fix your hair."Ella mumbled. She took me to a chair and braided my hair into one long braid. She tied it with a bow. She then held a mirror to my face.

I was shocked. I haven't seen my reflection ever since I got here. I sat nervously. I didn't know what to expect. I looked the same. I had the same wavy strawberry blonde hair and same brown eyes. My face was still round with thin lips.

I smiled and thanked her. I stood up as she led me to Grandmother's resting room. We walked over and Ella opened the doors. There sat my grandmother next to a woman. She had her brown hair up sitting straight talking to Grandmother in Russian. Her brown eyes fixed on my Grandmother. When she noticed Grandmother not paying attention to her she turned her head to look at me.

Her eyes read the same as everyone else's, pity, sorrow, maybe regret? "Go ahead Valentina, don't be rude, introduce yourself."Grandmother spoke. I opened my mouth but it went dry and I tried again, "Hello my name is Valentina Nikolaevna.". She gave me a small smile and stood up placing the tea she was holding down. She went up to me, "Hello Valentina Nikolaevna, my name is Olga Alexandrovna. I'm your Aunt.".She gave me a hug.

I hugged her back and made small conversation with her and Grandmother over tea.