C h a p t e r S i x t e e n

Photo: Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaevna 1912

October 1912
"It is ok Valentina Nikolaevna. You are going to be fine. I don't think the Emperor will let this happen to his daughter."Ella comforted. I was still holding on to her, I haven't said a word. We stood there for a while until I decided that I didn't want to stand here anymore. I didn't want any of them to know that I heard everything. I let go of Ella and whipped the tears falling from my face.

"L-Let's go to a different room."I stuttered from the after math of my sobs. I held onto Ella's arm as we left to go to Grandmother's resting room.  We sat on one of the small couch's and I turned my attention to look at the piano. It was finally empty with no one playing it. All the times that I wanted to play were impossible because Grandmother hired people to play it for her. As well as she always wanted to occupy my time with something else. "Do you know how to play?"Ella asked distracting me from the difficult situation. "I know a little, well actually I know how to play a few things."I replied eyeing the grand piano.

My Grandmama knew how to play and she taught me. I recently learned the beginning tune of  'Let it Be' by the Beetles. When I lived in the modern world they were one of my favorite bands although they weren't popular anymore on the radio I would play their music from my iPod and dance around with my Grandmama and Auntie Helen. I stood up and walked over and sat down. I smoothed out my wrinkled white dress. I tucked the loose strands of my hair behind my ear. I had all of my hair down today and it was styled away from my face, tying in the back. It looked a bit like Marie's hair style.

I cracked my fingers and took a deep breathe and started to play. I started to play the notes trying not to mess up although I messed up on one.

I was zoned into the song not paying attention to the room. I was glad that I was remembering the notes. I recalled as when I was 9 years old I was finished with my Saturday school and Grandmama came to pick me up. She found me in the music room trying to finish the piano piece we were supposed to learn. I was about to quit when my grandmama took a seat next to me and helped me learn. She then played another melody. It was breathtaking. She was so focused on the piano it's like everything around us was gone.

I was starting to end the fragment that I knew. And when I finished I exhaled all the air that was in me and I turned around to see Ella standing with a handkerchief wiping her glossy eyes. "That was breathtaking!"Ella exclaimed. "Did you write this? Are there words to it?!"she questioned me eagerly. I let out a small chuckle and shook my head no. "No I didn't write the song. I just learned how to play the piano to it. It's a song from... well I heard it somewhere before." I explained.

Ella put away her handkerchief. "I just can't believe this! It's like you have stepped through the future and came back here!"Ella admitted. I laughed, if she only knew it was true. "Can you preform that melody at my wedding?"Ella asked. My eyes widened a little. "I- I can't this was supposed to be in between you and me."I answered. She looked disappointed, "I've shared much information with everyone then I should have."I grunted putting my face into my hands. First with Tatiana, then Misha, and now Ella. These people caught a glimpse of my world or well the future world.

I couldn't let another future song or invention slip my lips or else the time would go off line, I think. "Well Valentina Nikolaevna, your secret is safe with me."Ella said gently placing her hand on my back as she stood behind me. "At least can you play me this song again? Another time?"she pleaded. Well she heard it anyway so it wasn't telling anyone else new so I agreed.

The both of us heard the door open and we turned around to see Aunt Olga with a red face and a tired look. It was from the argument. "Valentina"She began, "When are you writing a letter to your Mama and Papa?". "Soon."I answered. "Can we do it now?"she asked. "We?"I repeated. I was sure she wanted to talk to me about Grandmother wanting to do surgery on me, but I just played dumb. "Yes we! We must talk to you about important matters! Ella can you get us some paper and something to write with?"Aunt Olga asked or well it was a demand. Ella bowed towards her and left the room.

Aunt Olga sat me down on the small couch. She took my hands to hers and held them. "Valentina, what I'm about to tell you, well you probably won't believe me about it but please let me explain myself."Aunt Olga paused. "Your Grandmother wants to operate on your brain in surgery by a professional Danish surgeon. But she didn't or doesn't want to tell your Papa about it. She thinks if they operate on your frontal lobe then you will go back to normal."she explained.

I felt my breath get stuck in my throat. Hearing those words out loud again made me panic. "What's going to happen?"I asked in a small voice. Aunt Olga sighed frustrated, "I am not sure but I hope sending a letter to your Papa and Mama will work.". I nodded my head agreeing with her.

Ella came back to the room with the materials needed and we started writing.