C h a p t e r T w e n t y- S e v e n

Photo: Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaevna 1913

June 1913
Maska and I sat talking about all things that could be talked about. We were having a debate about which animal is better, cats or dogs. Maska was for cats and I was for dogs. We laughed after Maria couldn't think of anything to say back against my argument and we laughed long and hard about it. I was playing a game of charades, sort of. I was standing in front of Maria as she sat on the blanket, I was acting out as a horse and she was supposed to guess the animal.

Eventually after guessing the correct answer we laughed about the answer that she gave earlier, guessing that I was an enraged pregnant goose.  It was Marie's turn to act out as an animal of any choice. While she got off the blanket I glanced over at the Big Pair again, specifically looking over at Tatiana. She broke my trust for her, I thought that she was honest with me and would tell me anything as I did with her. Heck! I even told her everything I knew about the future, but she just seems to see me as a mental patient.

It hurt my feelings tremendously. I felt so betrayed by her actions but if she sees me as mental, what does she think of the Rasputin situation? I felt so saddened, I still feel sad. By feeling this way I feel so moppy and pathetic. Maria interrupted my train of thought, "Are you feeling alright Vanya?" I nodded my head turning away from the big pairs direction to sit down and play the game.

It was very obvious that she was acting as a chicken but I decided for the fun of it to drag on my guessing. "Are you a snake?! Wait no are you a cow?" Maria just gave me a look that read, are you stupid or something? After a few short seconds I started to laugh hysterically until she realized that I was dragging the guessing on. "Vanya!"she yelled out acting annoyed when really I knew she was laughing at the situation too. Marie joined me and we sat next to each other again. I continued to laugh so hard that a tear fell. I noticed Mama watching the both of us.

I couldn't tell the expression on her face. Maybe because she was far away or that my vision was blurred because of the tears, but she seemed to be giggling. At least that is what I thought that I saw.

After a few hours it was lunch time.
We all sat outside at a long table. I sat in between Maria and Mama, since she insisted that I did. The food was served and I started to munch on the tasty sandwiches. I zone out of the conversation that was at the table and started to observe the landscape. It was very beautiful and green, it was the very same from my vision of Rasputin, when he put something in Valen- my cup of tea. I felt shivers go down my spine.

"Are you alright dear?" Mama asked. I silently nodded my head and started to finish my food. "Mama, when are we going to Crimea?"Alexei asked as he stuffed his face with sweets. "Alyosha! What happened to your manners?!" Mama scolded shooting the Governess a glare. It was the first time seeing the Governess cower back in fear. She turned and whispered something to Alexei and he stopped stuffing his face with sweets.

"Yes Papa! When will we able to go to Crimea? Oh I miss it!"Tatiana asked. Papa thought for a second,
"We could all leave tomorrow, for the rest of summer holiday." I saw Mama's eyes light up as Papa looked at her for her approval on the suggestion. "What about Tanya's birthday?"Maria asked. It was Tatiana's birthday tomorrow, to be specific it was her 16th birthday. Being 16 was a big deal, at least for me when I was 16 in 2018 my changed a lot. I had more freedom and independence.

Turning 16 in this day and age wasn't the same thing. It was way different, you are officially a woman. You get to put your hair up and you can be sold off for marriage. Tatiana had the... the lack of hair so she wouldn't be able to put her hair up. "We could celebrate when we get there."Olga suggested.

"It will take days just to get there."Anastasia said with a bunch of strawberries in her mouth. "Anastasia"The Governess barked. Anastasia listened to her, spitting out the strawberries she couldn't chew in her hand. "Anastasia! That is informal and disgusting! What if you were in front of someone important from our court or an official from a different country!"Mama scolded.

Anastasia looked like she really wanted to give the biggest eye roll in the world but was prevented from the woman she called Mama. "We can just celebrate when we get to Crimea."Tatiana suggested. I had no idea on what they were talking about. I didn't know what Crimea was so I stayed silent. "Are you sure my darling?"Mama assured. Tatiana nodded her head eagerly. "Well then! The decision is made! We shall set for Crimea!"Papa announced. "Tomorrow!"Olga exclaimed.