C h a p t e r T w e n t y - T w o

Photo: Alix with her daughters 1913, Grand Duchesses Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova

June 1913
I was done with tutoring. I was thankful that now I had vacation and that I could take a break from learning. The subjects I had to learn were odd, French, English, Russian, Danish, Math, Biology, History, family history. The family history subject taught me about the history of the Romanovs and Grandmother decided to add manners and etiquette to my list of lessons as well. Well I was just thankful that I would take a break from it. It was quite boring, the manners and etiquette part.

Grandmother let me have a break, three months exactly. We would be traveling to Russia for some event I didn't bother to care for. All I knew was that I would be able to see my family. I hadn't seen them in a while, since November to be exact. I had a few letters written and back. Mama got me a necklace for my birthday, it came days after though.

I stood looking out the decks of the Polar Star, Grandmother's yacht. There were no crowds of people here. We were going to set sail soon and Grandmother sat with Aunt Olga. She stayed with us for a while, her husband left, going back to Russia. I grew very found of her. She told me many memories I did not remember but I could tell how dear they were to her. She was a brave woman, sometimes stories of her horrible husband would accidentally slip from her. I pitted her, she would have done so much things in the world if she wouldn't have been a Grand Duchess. Maybe she would have been happier.

I walked back to my seat next to Aunt Olga, continuing my needle work. The horn went off signaling that we have officially departed from Denmark. I was excited, I missed Mama so much. Sure, I would miss Denmark but seeing my family sounded more appealing. I sat quietly while listening to Grandmother's and Aunt Olga's conversation, "I hope Nicky is ready for our arrival."Aunt Olga chuckled. Grandmother nodded her head while continuing to talk about their estates.

I sat continuing my needle work not paying attention to their conversation anymore until I heard Grandmother say, "Let's just hope he won't run Russia to the ground because of them."

***

We arrived outside the palace gates of my grandmother's estate. We dropped off Aunt Olga at her palace. Later we would go to Aunt Olga's for tea. Papa, Mama, and the rest would come over as well. I was excited to see them, I just couldn't wait. The car door opened and came out Grandmother, then me. I still wondered on why we stayed in Denmark instead of Russia. I knew that she lived in Russia, I just had no idea on why moving to Denmark was the choice made.

I followed Ella to the room I'd be staying in. It was larger then the one I had in Denmark, way larger. It was three times the size of grandmama's master bedroom in Arizona. I stood admiring it while the servants brought in my luggage. Ella started unpacking it automatically and I helped her with it although she insisted not to. I placed Tatiana's, Maria's, and Anastasia's birthday presents in a drawer so it would be safe and secured. Eventually the time came to go to Aunt Olga's house and I changed into a nicer dress, then we left.

When we arrived my family was already there. The servants opened the doors and lead us to the room everyone was in. All of my sisters ran up to me, Marie being first. Anastasia tried to trip Olga as she ran over but instead got a scowling from a woman whom I did not recognize. Alexei was sitting next to the unknown woman as he was eager to see me. He had grown a lot, I sent him a little wave before OTMA almost tackled me to the ground with their group hug.

Olga looked very different with her new hairstyle. She looked very beautiful. Maria grew a bit looking taller, almost as tall as me, and Anastasia starting to look more grown. But Tatiana seemed to grow the most since she looked like a tower compared to everyone else.

We stood in a group hug for a while until mother stood up with Anna breaking us apart so she could reach me. I got a hug from her and then Mama stood up with the help of her cane and stood in front of me. Her face, I couldn't tell if she was happy, sad, disappointed. Her eyes just moved frantically, looking around my face and appearance. I did change a lot since September. My hair looks different, so does my face, it matured a bit, I think. At least that's what Grandmother told me.

After an intense stare down that felt like hours she took a step closer, taking me into her arms while Anna held onto her cane. I could smell her lavender perfume. She looked the same but more tired. The whole room stood watching us. She pulled away with teary eyes, "My girlie has come back home to me.". She looked back at the Tsar as he smiled at her. The room went back into a buzz with my sisters exchanging mutters with each other. She took me by the hand as Anna gave her the cane back and we slowly walked back to the couch she sat earlier.

I could tell how her health has decreased. Tatiana told me about the number system for whenever mama got a bad migraine. But I didn't think her health would decrease that bad. We sat down together on the couch and mama started to question me, "How was your journey?"She stroked my face affectionately, "It was fun. Denmark is really nice, I missed you a lot though."I answered. She smiled at me and I hugged her unexpectedly, It felt good to be back.