C h a p t e r F o r t y - S e v e n

Photo: The big pair 1914

October
"I do"Misha said, keeping his gaze on me.
I was standing next to Evelina at the alter. My face was a brighter red then hers. Olga is attending the wedding with me, Miss. Bitner (our governess) along with two other ladies in waiting and a bunch of officers. They have already exchanged vows and the priest turned his attention towards the crowd. "If there are any objections against this holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace!" The priest shouted dramatically. Evelina looked out at the small crowd containing her family. Supportive smiles and encouragement was sent her way.

I looked at Misha, one last time. Only to find his eyes on me. Did he except me to object? I wasn't going to, that is not how it was going to work! Did he think that I was going to sacrifice myself again? Crazy Vanya objected at a friends wedding, oh wait there is an explanation to why it's okay, because she's crazy! He got this girl all the way from Romania, the place she grew up, to Russia. That's a culture shock! I looked at Olga instead. She was the best, she took off from work to come to this wedding with me. Mama stated that Olga would be in attendance, representing herself and Papa since they are very busy with  the war effort.

Olga gave me a smile of support, I smiled back, grateful of her kindness. "By the power invested in me! I now pronounce you Husband and Wife!" The priest announced joyfully as the couple kissed and the church rang in celebration. By this point I couldn't hold my tears anymore, they were not tears of joy. I watched as they held hands, freshly put wedding bands on their fingers. Evelina smile was so bright that I am sure it would have blinded me if it were the sun.

As they turned to walk down the isle Evelina noticed my tears and put her hand on mine, "Oh Valentina"she exclaimed. "Don't cry!" She thought I was crying out of happiness when my heart was filled with sorrow. I handed her the bouquet of flowers while trying to wipe away tears. Olga could tell that I was starting to break down because she already had the protective look on her face. The newly weds walked down the isle while holding hands.

The small crowd of people followed them as Olga stayed sitting in her seat. She did not even stand up when they were walking down the isle. I got off the steps to the alter and walked up to Olga already she was standing waiting for me to walked into her embrace. "It's best to go now Olga Nikolaevna."Ms. Bitner commented. Olga and I walked to the exit doors with my arm in hers. We pushed through the doors as guards surrounded the building ensuring our security.

Outside stood Misha and Evelina receiving their congratulations and blessings. "We should cut in line because we must leave Vanya." Olga muttered. I nodded my head, wiping my falling tears. We went up to the couple, "Uh sorry to cut in line," I apologized to the elder lady that was speaking with them. "We must be going," Olga stated. "You will not be staying for the reception? We will be going to a restaurant not far from here." Misha questioned. I felt his stare piercing through me. I kept my on gaze on the tree behind them so I wouldn't have to look at them. "My love! The Grand Duchesses are busy people, it will be mostly family anyways! We shouldn't be holding them back from their duties," Evelina explained.

"I am sure that it will be lovely but we must go, congratulations." I mumbled, with sorrow filling me on the inside. I shook the brides hand as well as the grooms. I glanced at Misha's disappointed face. I wish that I hadn't told him what I said in Romania. Olga said her goodbyes as well and we headed back into the carriage. Olga and I sat across from Miss Bitner. "Did you enjoy the ceremony?" Miss Bitner asked, breaking our silence. "The ceremony was pleasant." Olga commented.

"What about you Valentina? Did you enjoy the ceremony?" Miss Bitner glanced my way. "It was nice." I shortly responded. "When should Evelina be back?"Olishka asked Miss Bitner. "Tomorrow."

We got to the palace and I marched straight to my room. I laid on my bed that stood against the wall. I closed my eyes, letting myself cry. Tears streamed down my rosie cheeks as I started to think. I don't need Misha. What do I need him for? I can save my family by myself, I don't need him. I don't need anyone. I can do this myself. I got up from my bed and walked over to the mirror in our room. I looked awful, my eyes were red, just like my face and my hair was messy.

I cleaned myself up, whipping away my tears. I put on some powder to get rid of my flushed skin. I fixed my hair, having the class OTMA hairstyle with some of hair down while having some of it up. "You don't need anyone"I muttered to myself. I changed my outfit to a much more simple one. I was wearing a white blouse and a navy blue skirt.

I heard the doors slam open, "Oh Vanya! I was worried to where you ran off to!"Olga cried out. "I am fine, let's stop wasting time and get to the hospital to help the others," I said in a monotone voice. Olga was surprised by my request. "I'll go put on my nurse attire."she said.

Once Olga was done we took a carriage to the hospital. I was determined to help as much as I could.