CHAPTER 26

A/N: Mills Manor in the picture above.
------------------------------------------------------------------

The party was coming to an end and the guests had already begun to trickle out. Jayden had spent the entire day trying to shake off Samuel but he clung persistently to his side like a leech, refusing to leave. He had to spend the entire party enduring Samuel's constant chatter and beaming smile and he almost leaped in joy when the party finally came to an end.

'Would you look at that! Those swans are so cute that I just want to cuddle them!' Samuel gushed for the hundredth time.

Jayden folded his arms and glared at him. 'The party is over. Shouldn't you be leaving?'

Samuel was petting the swans with an expression of childlike delight. He looked up at the question and shook his head. 'I can't leave till we've opened your presents.'

He stood up and grabbed Jayden's hand, dragging him excitedly to the gifts table. 'Come on, let's go open them!'

Jayden rolled his eyes as they stopped at the gifts table where a mountain of presents lay. 'Those are not real gifts dumbass. These are just props, the real ones are too large and many so they are placed in the storage building at the back of the manor.'

Samuel's eyes widened in delight. 'That's even better! Come on!'

Before Jayden could protest, he was dragging him across the garden, past the lake, past the maze and into the manor.

Jayden sputtered in indignation and tore himself from Samuel's grasp. He straightened his shirt and fixed him with a piercing glare. 'Get out.'

Samuel wasn't paying attention to him. He was looking for a way to the back when Victoria glided up to them with an amused smile.

'Glad to see you're enjoying yourselves.'

Samuel beamed up at her and nodded. 'Yes, we are. The swans are so beautiful and the peacocks are really cute.'

Victoria chuckled. 'I don't think they'd appreciate being called cute but thank you. They were a present from the Zulu king. Is there anything I can help you with?'

Samuel nodded but before he could speak, his parents came up to them.

'There you are Sammy,' his mother spoke up. 'Come along, it's time we take our leave.'

She turned to Victoria. 'Thank you for inviting us into your home and for throwing such a spectacular event. It truly was marvellous.'

Victoria smiled. 'Thank you for coming. Your presence made it even more spectacular. Though,' she glanced at Samuel with a knowing smile. 'I don't think he's ready to go yet. How about he stays over for the night?'

An expression of pure horror crossed Jayden's face. 'No...'

Samuel's face broke out in a bright smile. 'Really?' he asked eagerly.

Jayden shook his head frantically at his mother but Victoria pretended not to see it. 'Of course!'

'Mother...' Jayden warned.

Victoria continued nonplussed. 'The boys could have a sleepover and I would send him back home when he's finally ready.'

Sandra looked unsure. 'I don't know... We do have an important fundraiser to attend.'

Samuel wrapped his arms around his mother and looked up at her with his best puppy dog eyes. 'Please mommy,' he pleaded in a childlike voice, wobbling his lips a little.

Sandra looked down and sighed, finally giving in. She patted his hair affectionately. 'Alright, you know I can't say no to that face but only for three days. You can miss the fundraiser but it's imperative we attend that conference.'