CHAPTER 43

Samuel was on his way to his dressing room when the loud roar of applause from the audience reached him. He blinked in surprise as he hadn't expected the play to start so soon.

He heard his name across the corridor and turned to see Stacey hasten towards him. He paused and waited patiently for her to reach him. He waited again for her to catch her breath.

'Are you done with the make-up team?' she asked after catching her breath.

'Not really but they have their hands full with the other actors.'

Stacey's eyes roved quickly over his face. 'Doesn't matter, your make-up would be enough. Now hurry, Miss A wants you up front.'

Samuel frowned in confusion. 'But my first scene isn't up for a while.'

'I know but she insists,' Stacey replied as she flipped through her clipboard.

Samuel nodded. 'I'll be there shortly. Anything else?'

'I don't know,' Stacey paused her flipping and frowned. 'I have the feeling I'm forgetting something.'

'Something like what?'

Stacey sighed. 'Who knows? I have so much on my plate right now my mind is a jumbled mess.'

'Well I'm all good here. Everything is going according to plan so you have nothing to worry about.'

Stacey bit her lip and nodded though she didn't seem reassured. 'I'll leave you to it then. Remember-'

'I know,' Samuel cut her off. 'Up front in ten minutes.'

'Five.'

'Five minutes,' Samuel amended amusedly. 'Now go hound someone else and let me get ready. I've got this.'

'You better,' she muttered threateningly.

Samuel gave her a thumbs-up and she turned to walk away only to walk right into someone.

'Oh, I'm so sorry,' the stranger apologised in a soft voice.

Samuel blinked in surprise. 'Pearl?'

Pearl looked up and smiled at him as she held Stacey's hand to steady her. 'Are you alright?'

'Yes, yes. I'm fine, don't worry.'

Stacey straightened up and with a grin at them both, she walked away.

Pearl turned to Samuel and beamed at him. 'Hello, Romeo.'

'What are you doing here?' Samuel asked as he pulled her close for a kiss.

'I came to wish you good luck but then again you don't need it. You are already amazing on stage.'

Samuel chuckled. 'Thank you but I would need all the luck I can get. This is my first time performing in front of so many people. And there are cameras!'

Pearl giggled. 'They are pretty terrifying, aren't they?'

'Yes, they are.' Samuel pouted. 'Help me.'

'You don't need any help.' She patted his chest comfortingly. 'You are the bravest person I know. You got this.'

Samuel's smile dimmed a little. 'I'm sorry it didn't turn out as we hoped. I know you wanted us to do this together.'

Pearl shrugged. 'There would be other plays. The main reason I wanted to do this was to spend more time with you and we can do that after the play at your birthday party. Are you excited about that?'

'I'm a bit terrified honestly. Your parties have a reputation of being pretty wild.'

Pearl smirked. 'Of course, otherwise what fun would they be?'