Chapter 68

Jayden was on his feet in an instant. 'What happened? Is he hurt?'

There was a wry smile on Paul's face. 'Oh, he is fine. It's the other one you should be worried about.'

Jayden didn't have the patience to decipher his cryptic words. He rushed towards the stage with Paul and the others following close behind.

Francesca was trying to regain some semblance of order. 'Stand back, stand back. Let's give him some air. Mr. Khan, if you would be so kind as to alert Madam Walker that she would be receiving a new patient soon it would be most appreciated.'

Jayden shoved through the students crowded at the foot of the dais and looked up as the prefects knelt around a prostrate body. A gap cleared through the sea of bodies and he was struck with bewilderment.

Azrael lay grinning on the ground as blood gushed freely down his nose. Miss Alberta knelt by his side, pressing a wad of tissue against it in an attempt to stem the flow. It almost certainly looked broken, and just by looking at it, you couldn't help but imagine how painful it would be.

Azrael, however, didn't look like someone in pain. His eyes glowed with exhilaration, and pleased laughter kept bubbling occasionally out of his mouth. Samuel, who appeared to be the cause of this injury, was being held back by several prefects. He wasn't struggling however, and his face was calm as he looked down at the bleeding boy at his feet.

'Let's get him up on the stretcher, gently now,' Francesca ordered.

With minimal effort, they lifted him onto the stretcher, and after making sure he was well secured, they carted him quickly down to the hospital wing.

Francesca turned to the prefects who were restraining Samuel. 'Now that the temptation is out of the way, I see no reason to immobilize him further.'

The prefects nodded and let go of Samuel. Francesca's expression was so stern and uncompromising that Samuel wilted a little under her gaze.

'I expected more from you, Mr. Asamoah. You are aware of the consequences your actions would have on your candidacy for school president?'

Samuel nodded. 'I am.'

'Do you have anything to say for yourself?'

'I do not regret what I did.'

Francesca studied him over her half-moon spectacles. 'I see. You will wait for me in the side room while I attend to Mr. Rutherford. I hope you will take that time to reflect on your actions.'

She turned to the rest of the school. 'Everyone back to your seats. The welcome address would be held shortly, in the meantime I expect you all to be on your best behaviour. Your prefects are in charge.' She turned to her staff. 'The rest of you come with me.'

She walked off the stage and the prefects took over.

'Alright everyone, you heard the headmistress. Back to your seats. Quickly now.'

Jayden pushed through the stream of bodies and rushed after Francesca. 'Headmistress, if I might have a word.'

'I told everyone to go back to their seats, Mr. Mills. And that includes you as well,' Francesca replied, not losing her stride.

'Please, it's important,' Jayden pleaded, struggling to keep up.

Francesca sighed impatiently and slowed down, allowing him to catch up. 'What is it, Mr. Mills? As you can see, I'm very busy. A student assaulted a teacher in front of the entire school, and on the very first day as well. I haven't witnessed such a scandal in all my years in the profession.'