Chapter 81

Jayden wasn't just livid; he was almost apoplectic with rage. 'Are you insane?' he yelled out, causing Noel to wince sharply.

'No, I am not,' Noel responded firmly.

'Well, I must assume you have taken leave of your senses because what you're asking me to do is absolute insanity!'

'You don't understand. You didn't see him. Jayden, he's literally living in hell.'

'Good,' Jayden responded.

'He won't be able to last for much longer. He could die!'

'He sure is taking his sweet time about it.'

Noel stared at Jayden. 'You don't mean that.'

Jayden's gaze was firm as he looked back. 'Yes, I do.'

'Jayden,' Noel took a deep breath and tried again. 'He is being raped.'

Jayden didn't blink. 'So?'

Noel staggered as he took a step back in shock. 'You can't... you don't... you know, you know as much as anyone how horrible that is.'

'It's because I know that's why I do not care.' Jayden's eyes were venomous as he continued. 'He did the same thing to you, and if it is being done to him, then that's what I consider justice.'

Noel shook his head. 'That's not justice. He is being punished but it is not justice. And it isn't justice to leave him there knowing what he is going through.'

Jayden scoffed in disbelief as he stared at his best friend. 'I don't get it. I really can't understand it. After everything he's done to you, you should be the last person to want to help him. I know you are a bleeding heart, but you are not stupid. Why can't you just leave him to his fate? Why can't you let go?'

Noel hesitated. 'I...'

Jayden's eyes narrowed. 'Do you still love him?'

'Of course not.'

'Then why?' Jayden pressed on relentlessly.

'I...'

'Why Noel? Why can't you let him go?'

'Because it is my responsibility!' Noel exploded.

Jayden stared at him in confusion. 'What?'

'I...' Noel blinked, and this time there were tears in his eyes. 'He is doing this because of me. He is allowing these things to happen to him because he is trying to pay me back.'

'Allowing?' Jayden snorted. 'Is that what he told you?'

'No, I...'

'He doesn't have much choice in the matter, does he? I, therefore, fail to see how he is "allowing" anything.'

Noel's glare suddenly turned fierce. 'I don't like this any more than you do, but I at least have the humanity to not turn a blind eye. It takes strength to go through what I did, and it takes even more strength to look back and be able to forgive those who have hurt you. I do not have to forgive him, nor do I currently have the strength to, but I do have the strength to help him. Why? Because he has gone through what I have and worse.'

'And he deserves it!' Jayden yelled back. He couldn't keep his emotions in check any longer and the fury rolled out of him in waves.

He was angry. He was angry at Noel for asking something like this from him. He was angry at the way that despite what that bastard did, Noel still wanted to help him. Most of all, he was absolutely furious that that bastard was the reason he was fighting with his best friend.