Chapter 74

Samuel could hardly believe his eyes.

The ballroom was an enchanting oasis of beauty and elegance as throngs of richly dressed guests stood bathed beneath the golden light. Crystal chandeliers dangled from the arched ceilings, casting shimmering patterns on the polished marble floor below. Along the walls, delicate silk drapes framed the towering floor-to-ceiling windows, through which the moonlight spilled in and mingled with the light from the candles and chandeliers.

Elegant ice sculptures stood atop tables dressed in pristine white linens which were topped with elegant floral arrangements. The scent of roses, orchids, and jasmine, intertwined with the delicate perfumes of the guests filling the air with the smell of sophistication and class.

Samuel had to give it to him, Jayden had outdone himself. In fact, Samuel noted, not only had Jayden outdone himself, but he had also outdone Samuel. He had to admit that even he would not have been able to pull something as spectacular as this.

Glasses tinkled as the rich sound of laughter and polite conversation filled the air. The orchestra was playing a steady tune as Samuel weaved through the throngs of guests. The alumni of Lumière International School were out in full force for their annual ball and the great ballroom was almost packed.

There, at the foot of the staircase, he finally caught sight of Jayden. His boyfriend was almost unrecognizable and not just because he was dressed in a dark embroidered suit which highlighted his handsome features and made it difficult for Samuel to take his eyes off him. No, it was because his perpetually moody boyfriend was wearing a smile so dazzling, it lighted up his erstwhile dark features and made his face glow with some kind of otherworldly light.

Jayden was like the rising sun and Samuel fell in love with him all over again.

'So with how volatile the markets are lately it's not a good time for investors to expand,' the elderly businessman Jayden was standing with was saying to him as Samuel walked up to them.

'But doesn't the higher risks mean higher rewards?' Jayden replied. 'It's really all just a balance of probabilities. A daring investor would be able to take advantage of this opportunity and grow his stocks.'

'Expected returns are far below the security market line to justify such risks. I'm afraid it just isn't worth it.'

'It would be worth it if investors know how to diversify their portfolios. The coupon rates for stocks in the renewable energy sector are currently low but with the global push for sustainability and clean energy, companies in that sector stand to earn higher interest rates on their stocks.'

'You may have a point there.'

'The government is also embarking on a new housing scheme so investing in commercial real estate would offer you higher rental yields while simultaneously giving you excellent prospects for capital appreciation. That is, of course, taking current yield-to-maturity values and market premiums into consideration.'

The businessman gave Jayden an impressed look. 'I didn't expect someone your age would have such an excellent knowledge of the stock market. Where did you learn all this?'

Jayden gave him a small smile. 'My mother runs an investment company so it's kind of like a family business.'

'Who is your mother? I should probably have heard of her.'

'I'm sure you have. Everyone has heard of Victoria.'

The man's expression widened. 'Victoria? You mean the Victoria Mills.'

Jayden's smile remained in place. 'Yes, that Victoria. I gather you've heard of her.'

'But that would mean you're...'