CHAPTER 59

It was after the meeting and the crowd in the auditorium was slowly thinning out, most students retiring to their dormitories. Paul and Samuel had left for a prefect's meeting up on the dais with the teachers and their friends remained behind to wait for them.

Noel was watching their meeting with a wistful look on his face. 'I wish I was chosen to be a prefect though I suppose I wouldn't be much good. No one would take me seriously.'

Leo sniffed in disgust. 'Why would you want to be one of them? They are all terrible people, especially the traitorous backstabbers.'

'Oh, let it go will you,' Cam replied wearily.

'I'm surprised you weren't made prefect,' Noel commented. 'I mean I understand why Leo wasn't, but not you.'

'It's all Leo's fault.'

Leo was about to protest, but Cam cut him off. 'Shut up, you know it is.'

'How is it his fault though?' Noel asked. 'You don't join him when he gets into trouble.'

'Yeah, but I don't stop him either.' Cam responded ruefully. 'He never listens to me, so what are the chances I will be able to get others to listen to me as well.'

'You should be thanking me then.' Leo stated proudly. 'I saved you from a tiresome life of having to follow the rules and having no fun whatsoever.'

'I don't know about that,' Noel replied. 'Following the rules and getting others to follow it seems fun.'

Leo's mouth dropped open in horror. 'Who hurt you?'

Cam rolled his eyes though a fond smile tugged at his lips. He looked up just in time to see Paul hop down from the dais. It appeared that their meeting had concluded.

Leo's mood turned sour when he noticed Paul's approaching figure. He looked away when Paul smiled at him, stoutly refusing to acknowledge his presence.

'How long are you going to keep ignoring me?' Paul asked exasperatedly.

'Come on, guys,' Leo said, ignoring his question. 'Let's leave before we get reported just for existing.'

Cam and Noel gave each other a look of exasperation whilst Paul just sighed in defeat.

'Don't look at it that way, Leo,' Noel tried to comfort him. 'Look at the positive side of it.'

Leo gave a huff of disbelief. 'What could possibly be positive about this betrayal?'

'Erm... for example...' Noel trailed off hopelessly, looking to Cam for support.

'For example, you now have a person on the inside,' Cam answered, the gears in his brain turning quickly. 'Your pranks would be ten times better now with Paul's inside information.'

'Wait what-' Paul interjected, but he was cut off by Cam who was just warming onto his idea.

'Yeah, in fact, Paul didn't betray you. He became a prefect just to be able to spy for you.'

'Hold on, I'm not-'

'He sacrificed himself for your cause.'

'I didn't-'

'You should be thanking him really,' Cam interrupted firmly, shooting a fierce look at Paul.

Leo's expression changed as Cam's words sunk in. His eyes turned teary as he turned to Paul. 'Is this true, Papi?'

'It's not-'

Cam aimed a swift kick at his leg, cutting him off. 'Of course, it is,' he answered for him instead.