Chapter 90

When Jayden woke up a few hours later, Samuel was already awake reading the piles of Get-Well cards that had been left for him. He turned as Jayden stretched stiffly beside him.

'How many times have you fallen asleep in that position?'

Jayden shrugged, wincing slightly as his neck popped with a soft crack. 'I dunno. For as long you have been here, I guess.'

'You're going to get joint and back pains at this rate. You could have just used the cot over there.'

'Out of your coma barely eight hours and you're already nagging me.'

'I wouldn't have to nag you if you took proper care of yourself.'

'Don't fall into a coma next time then because I wouldn't have had to take care of myself if you were there to do it.'

Samuel rolled his eyes in exasperation but there was a glint of humour in them.

Jayden grinned and moved closer to him. 'Rolling your eyes is such a me thing to do. I fear I may be a bad influence on you.'

Samuel snorted. 'I would be more concerned if you were realizing that now.'

Jayden's stomach growled in that moment which caused Samuel to shoot him an accusatory glare.

'Have you been skipping meals as well?'

Jayden shook his head quickly. 'No, I haven't. You heard Leo, I had a whole squadron making sure I was kept fed and watered.'

Samuel still looked suspicious, but he decided to let the matter drop. Instead, he gestured to the table in the corner of the room.

'Your mum left some snacks in case you were hungry when you woke up.'

Jayden's nose wrinkled slightly in distaste. 'She's still here? I suppose someone needs to keep tabs on me and provide updates to my father.'

Samuel gave him a curious look. 'I don't think that's why she's here. She could have easily sent someone else to do that if that's all it was.'

'She won't ask someone else to do it because she knows her presence irritates me. She's just trying to antagonise me.'

Samuel thought about it and shook his head. 'I don't think that's it. 'Think about it, from what I gathered she refused to leave the hospital as long as you were here, she slept on those uncomfortable waiting room chairs, and she even showered in the hospital bathrooms. She didn't need to do all that if all she wanted was to simply antagonise you. And I saw the look in her eyes when she came in and saw you sleeping. Whatever you may think of her, your mother still loves you.'

Jayden was quiet for a long moment. 'I don't want to think about it,' he whispered after a while. 'Thinking about it always leads to disappointment. Every time I think that it's different, that she will actually be there for me, she turns around and picks my father's side. Time and time again, she has proven that my father's feelings are more important to her than my own.'

'I'm not trying to make excuses for her or anyone but if it's possible for you to have a good relationship with at least one parent I think you should give it a shot. Your father is a hopeless piece of shit, so that's a lost cause, but your mother seems to be willing to at least put in the work to bridge the gap between you.'

Instead of responding, Jayden stood and walked to the table. He picked up a bag of chips and shook it questioningly at Samuel. 'Hungry?'

Samuel understood and allowed the change of topic to happen. He raised the hand that was attached to the drip in response. 'I don't think I'm allowed to eat solid foods.'