CHAPTER 30

A/N: Picture above; Samuel's family's cabin up in their mountain retreat.
*****************************************

There was a loud knock on the door and the man who had been nursing a hot cup of cocoa in the kitchen glanced at the door before looking regretfully at the still steaming cup.

The knock sounded again and he quickly got up and slid his feet into his slippers, hurriedly tying his robe as he wondered who it could be at this hour.

He swung the door open, coming face to face with a soaked teen. The storm had died down to a drizzle but lighting still flashed sporadically in the sky, lighting up the dark night.

The teen looked up at him. 'Is Samuel home?'

'Sam it's for you,' the man called out before leaving the doorway.

A loud pair of feet could be heard rushing down the wooden staircase and a moment later, Samuel stood in the doorway. He frowned as he tried to make out the figure in the dim light of the porch and his eyes widened in surprise when he recognized him.

Jayden grinned awkwardly. 'Nice PJs.'

Samuel continued to stare at him in shock.

Jayden sighed. 'So are you going to let me stand here, drenched and in the cold or are you going to invite me in?'

Samuel blinked and nodded. 'Yes, yes, you're right. I'm sorry. Come in, you must be freezing.'

Jayden nodded gratefully as Samuel stepped aside and entered the cabin. Samuel locked the door behind him and moved to his side.

He looked at his dripping figure with worry. 'What are you doing here?'

Jayden rolled his eyes. 'You invited me, remember?'

Samuel nodded contemplatively. 'Yes, I did. I didn't think you'll come though.' He suddenly frowned. 'Wait, how did you even get here?'

Jayden shrugged. 'I took a bus.'

Samuel was incredulous. 'All the way from the city? That's more than a three-hour drive and how did you get up here anyway. The bus stops at the town and the road to the mountain is restricted access.'

'I passed through the woods.'

'Let me get this straight. You took a bus from the city, all the way out here, and climbed up the mountain, through the woods, in the storm? Why didn't you just call me earlier or better still why didn't one of your drivers bring you?'

Jayden turned away. 'It was kind of an impromptu trip. I just couldn't stay in that house any longer.'

His face was pleading as he looked at Samuel. 'Can I stay here for a while?'

Samuel nodded. 'Of course, you don't even have to ask.'

A look of relief came on Jayden's face. 'Thank you.'

'Don't mention it. Come on, you're dripping all over the place. I'll run a hot bath for you or maybe a hot shower, and we'll get you out of those clothes into something warm and dry before you catch a cold.'

Jayden nodded gratefully and Samuel led him up the wooden staircase and into his room.

'Here, you'll stay in my room.' He rummaged through his drawers and pulled out some extra towels. 'The bathroom is over there, go and take a hot shower whiles I go and make you something hot to drink.'

Jayden took the towels and entered the bathroom. Samuel heard the sound of the shower turn on as he went through his closet. He laid out some clothes for him on the bed before leaving to the kitchen.