Chapter 72

A/N: Important author's note at the end, please read!!!! It is a bit lengthy but it contains very VERY important information!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was late in the afternoon when Samuel and Jayden walked into the hospital wing. The windows were flung open, letting in sunlight that bathed the half-empty room in golden light as the curtains flapped lightly in the noonday breeze.

Azrael lay in one of the beds in the far corner with his now bandaged ankle propped up on a pillow, and there was a pleased smile on his face as the school nurse fussed around him.

'My word, students out of bed at midnight? What were you lot getting up to at that ungodly hour? No wonder you twisted your ankle, you poor thing. It would be a miracle if you could see your own nose at such a time.'

Azrael gave her a cute pout. 'My leg hurts real bad, Nurse Mary.'

'I'm not surprised at that, you poor thing. That was a nasty twist if I've ever seen one. Do you want me to fluff your pillows again?'

Azrael beamed. 'Yes, please.'

'So polite as well, such a darling,' Nurse Mary crooned as she busied herself fluffing his pillows, taking extra care to make sure he was as comfortable as he could be.

Azrael settled back into his freshly fluffed pillows, looking as content as a kitten as Samuel and Jayden walked up to him.

'Oh, look, I have visitors! Hi, Jayden. Hi, Samuel.'

'How are you feeling?' Samuel asked, taking a seat on the edge of his bed.

Nurse Mary gave them a stern glare. 'It's not visiting hours yet. Shouldn't you both be in class?'

'We...'

'I think we can give them a pass this time, don't you?' Azrael cut in. 'If I get any more rest, I'll slip into a coma.'

Nurse Mary frowned, but one look at Azrael's entreating face and her firmness melted away.

'I suppose you're right, but don't overexercise yourself.'

'You have nothing to worry about,' Azrael promised solemnly.

The matron's tight lips lifted for the briefest of seconds in a ghost of a smile. 'Would you like some tea to entertain your guests?'

Azrael's smile blossomed, and his entire face lit up like the sun. 'That would be marvellous.'

Nurse Mary giggled. 'Such a dear.' she said, and as she walked away, the faintest blush could be seen appearing on her cheeks.

Azrael made himself comfortable on the bed as Samuel stared at him in open-mouthed wonder.

'What was that?'

'What was what?' Azrael asked distractedly.

'That,' Samuel said, gesturing faintly with his hands. 'How do you get her to do what you want? She scolds me literally every time I come in here, but she fawns all over you like you're the second coming of Jesus.'

'Maybe she doesn't like you?'

Samuel shook his head. 'She's like that with everyone. You're the first person I've seen her act like that too.'

Azrael shrugged. 'I just have a way with people, I guess.'

'So do I, but not like that,' Samuel muttered under his breath as the still-blushing matron came back with three steaming cups of tea.

Jayden watched as the matron placed the cups on the table and worriedly adjusted Azrael's leg before walking away.

'You know, for someone who is usually so self-aware, you are pretty ignorant of how narcissistic you can be,' he observed.