CHAPTER 46

The Monday of the following week was much the same as the previous days for Samuel. Jayden continued to avoid him and no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't seem to find him.

He was standing by his locker on Tuesday morning with Paul when he looked up and caught sight of Jayden turning a corner. He immediately took off in that direction without an explanation to Paul but when he got there, Jayden was nowhere to be found.

He walked dejectedly back to his locker and leaned heavily on it. Paul looked at him and nodded in understanding.

'No luck again, huh?'

Samuel shook his head. 'None. It's as if he just vanishes into thin air.'

They heard several high-pitched giggles and turned to see Pearl walking down the hallway with a group of her friends. She walked past without bothering to spare him a glance. He watched her go with a resigned look and let out a strained sigh.

Paul glanced at him as he removed a couple of books from his locker. 'I'm guessing things are still strained between you guys.'

Samuel nodded. 'I guess you can say that. It's not her fault though, I'm the one to blame. I've been so distracted lately.'

'I know it's not my business to tell you what to do...'

Samuel glanced at his friend. 'But?'

'I know you are trying to fix your relationship with Jayden but maybe you should focus more on the relationship that you do have than on the one you no longer don't.'

Samuel looked away. 'It's not that simple. You are lucky you are not dating anyone. Relationships are so tiring and can be such a mess.'

'Yes, I suppose they are. However, with the right person, I heard they can be amazing.'

Samuel stared at his friend as he zipped his bag. 'So why aren't you dating then?'

Paul closed his locker. 'You know why. I am a prince, I don't have the luxury to just date anyone I want. I have a responsibility to my people and whoever I date would be to secure a strategic match not for my personal desires.'

Samuel frowned. 'You always say that but it's not right.'

'It's my duty.'

'I'm not going to accept that.'

Paul gave him a small smile. 'It's not your choice. Now, how are you going to solve the Jayden problem?'

Samuel let out a heavy sigh. 'I don't know. Even if he has feelings for me we can still be friends, can't we?'

Paul shrugged. 'That's between you both. You share a couple of classes together so why can't you just talk to him when he's in class?'

'I can't he always comes in after class starts and leaves before it even ends.'

'Then stop him from leaving.'

Samuel shook his head. 'I've tried but he always leaves before I even have the chance to get up. To stop I would need to be already...'

He stood upright. 'Hold on. That's it! You've just given me an idea. I wonder why I didn't think about this before, I'm such an idiot.'

Paul's features twisted up in confusion. 'Erm, glad to help I guess. Are you gonna tell me what this plan is?'

'No time, I have to go now.'

Paul watched as his friend placed his backpack on his shoulder and hurried off down the halls.

Samuel glanced at his watch and quickened his steps. In order for his plan to work he needed help and only one person could help him but he needed to get there before the bell went off.