Chapter 79

A/N : Trigger warning mentions of SA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two months later, Paul was watching as Samuel wore a hole in their living room floor.

'Samuel...'

Samuel didn't hear him.

'Samuel.'

Samuel continued to pace restlessly without paying him a glance.

'Samuel!'

'What?' Samuel snapped irritably. He sighed and passed a hand through his hair tiredly. 'I'm sorry, it's just...'

'You seem stressed,' Paul pointed out.

'Oh really?' Samuel retorted. 'And here I thought that sleepless nights and shadows under my eyes were just good for my skin.'

'It's very interesting how you subconsciously channel Jayden whenever you get anxious,' Paul noted thoughtfully.

Samuel sighed and dropped down on the couch beside him. 'It's not subconscious. Just being with him helps me feel better but since he can't be by my side 24/7, channelling him is my way of feeling closer to him.'

Paul regarded his best friend closely. 'How is Jayden?'

'He's a rock.'

'I sense a complaint.'

'He's being too understanding about the whole thing.'

Paul was puzzled. 'And that is a bad thing?'

'I know him. He's burying his feelings just to make me happy. He refuses to talk about anything relating to Pearl. One word about the baby and he immediately clams up. It's like he's pretending it doesn't exist.'

Paul thought about it for a minute. 'Do you want my advice?'

'No,' Samuel answered wearily. 'But you're just going to give it to me, anyway, aren't you?'

'You know me so well,' Paul responded with a grin. 'Anyway, my advice is to stop pestering him. Leave him to come to terms with the situation in his own time. He doesn't need you to help him process it.'

Samuel opened his mouth to speak but Paul cut him off.

'I know you're going to deny it but it's true. The reason you want him to talk to you is because you think he needs your help in processing it. I know you mean well but he is a grown man. He doesn't need you to tell him what he's feeling and quite frankly, I think he's sick of you trying to.'

Samuel wanted to retort but he realized he had nothing to say. As much as he hated to admit it Paul was right, and for the sake of his relationship, he should probably work on his saviour complex impulses.

He settled with throwing a glare at his best friend. 'I hate you, you know that, right?'

'I love you too, buddy.' Paul sat back with a content sigh. 'I really do give great advice, don't I?'

'Calm down, O wise one. All your advice is not as helpful as you think it is.'

'Really?' Paul challenged. 'Try me then. Hit me with your best shot.'

'Fine.' Samuel sat up. 'O great and majestic prince, enlightened star of the nation, how do I solve the issue of not getting married to the future mother of my child whilst leaving both our reputations intact.'

Paul considered his question thoughtfully. 'You and Jayden have the most unfortunate luck. First, he was forced to marry Valentina, now you are forced to marry Pearl. It's like fate is trying to tell you something. Maybe you are not meant to be together in this life.'