CHAPTER 33

There was a noticeable change in the relationship between Samuel and Jayden. Samuel was now almost always by his side and Jayden no longer seemed unhappy about it. He seemed to tolerate him much more and no longer ignored him as much.

Of course, Jayden wouldn't call them friends. Samuel was someone whose constant presence he had come to accept. Samuel didn't seem bothered by this, to him Jayden was his close friend and that was the end of the matter.

Lately though, something seemed wrong. As the days went by, Samuel had steadily begun to be less like himself. He talked less and only if he was asked a direct question. His bright personality steadily dimmed and the charming smile that was quick to appear on his face disappeared. When he thought no one was looking, his face took on a moodier look and there was a tinge of sadness in his eyes. He thought no one would notice but his friends did.

Like now, as the six friends were sitting around a table in a garden behind the classrooms, Samuel seemed distracted. Leo and Paul were arguing about some sport while Jayden watched impassively. Cam and Noel were discussing a Jane Austen novel for English class and Samuel was staring off into space. He seemed preoccupied with something in his head.

Cam broke away from the conversation and shot him a worried look, nudging him gently with his elbow. 'Hey, are you alright?'

Samuel blinked and nodded absently. Cam didn't look convinced and Jayden shot him a worried look.

'Are you sure, you're alright?' he leaned over to whisper when everyone had turned their attention back to the conversation.

Samuel nodded and shot him a reassuring smile but Jayden saw right through it. Before he could probe further, Samuel stood up.

'Sorry, guys. I just remembered I have a meeting with Coach Stevens. Catch you later.'

He slung his backpack over his shoulder and with a half-hearted wave he was gone.

Noel turned to Paul. 'What's up with him?'

Paul shrugged. 'I don't know, he wouldn't tell me. It must be something about the October weather because he was like this last year at this time too.'

The others frowned and went back to their conversations, worry still lingering in their heads. Jayden suddenly stood up and he left without a word.

Noel looked after him anxiously but did not to go after him, deciding it was best to let him be. However, he still couldn't help but still worry about them both.

Jayden moved quickly through streams of students as he searched for Samuel. He caught a glimpse of his backpack and darted through a crowd of cheerleaders, catching up with Samuel as he reached the door of the Athletics Centre.

Samuel turned around in surprise as Jayden bounded up the steps to him.

'What's wrong?' he asked in confusion.

Jayden gave him a searching gaze. 'I should be asking you that.'

Samuel avoided his gaze. 'Nothing is wrong.'

Jayden rolled his eyes. 'And I'm a six-foot mountain troll in a pink tutu. Now, tell me the truth.'

Samuel rubbed his neck in frustration. 'What's it to you anyway,' he snapped. 'I thought you didn't care.'

That took Jayden back and he struggled to find the right comeback. 'I...'

Samuel sighed. 'Look just forget about it. I just need to workout and clear my head. I'm fine so stop worrying.'

Jayden just stared at him as he turned around and disappeared into the building. He thought for a moment before sprinting down the stairs and begun to make his way down the winding pavement.