Chapter 62

The sky was dyed a glowing amber as the last rays of the setting sun scattered across the horizon. Jayden stood by the window, his face set in a brooding expression as he watched the picturesque scene play out before him.

He shuffled his feet impatiently as the last shafts of light disappeared beneath the horizon. Darkness soon settled and the stars twinkled one by one, glowing softly in the moonless night.

Jayden didn't move from his position. He watched as a lone plane flew silently overhead, its dark shape only visible from the outline it drew against the stars.

The doorknob jostled and Jayden finally moved, turning to watch as it swung open to reveal a tired Samuel. He watched silently as his boyfriend took off his shoes and threw his backpack onto the couch.

Samuel did a doubletake when he saw Jayden at the window. 'What are you doing over there? And why aren't the lights turned on yet?'

Jayden ignored his questions. 'How was it?'

'It's too early to say. The robotics club are as tight-lipped as those robots they love to work on. I'm heading over there again tomorrow with Leo. He's friends with everybody. Maybe he can get them to talk.' He walked over to flip the switch, bathing the room with light. 'What about you, how was your day?'

Jayden hummed noncommittedly, walking away from the window. Samuel stared after him with a curious expression on his face.

'Jayden,' he said. 'How long were you standing there?'

Jayden blinked. 'A few minutes. Why?'

'You were in the same spot I left you in.'

Jayden averted his gaze. 'No, I wasn't.'

Samuel struggled to contain his laughter. 'Did you really stand at the window for close to two hours just waiting for me?'

Jayden scowled. 'No.'

'Oh my God.' Tears were streaming down his face as he held his sides in mirth. 'I can't believe... you really... and you call me an excited puppy!'

Jayden's scowl deepened. 'I fail to see the humour of this situation.'

'Sorry,' Samuel gasped. 'I'm sorry, it's just... oh my God, I can't.'

'If you are just going to laugh at me, maybe I should just leave you to it.'

Samuel smiled and walked up to place a soft kiss on his lips. 'You really are the most adorable person in the world.'

Jayden's scowl disappeared and a flustered look took its place. 'I don't know what you're talking about,' he mumbled.

Samuel smiled. 'I missed you too.'

'Where is Noel?' Jayden said quickly, changing the subject. 'I haven't seen him in a while.'

Samuel was amused but let it go. 'He's sleeping over at Cam and Leo's. Paul has got prefect duty so we won't be seeing him all night.' He cocked his head suggestively. 'We've got the whole place to ourselves.'

Jayden gave his boyfriend a strange look. 'What are you thinking about?'

'What are you thinking about?' Samuel answered back sweetly.

'Who are you and what have you done with my boyfriend?'

Samuel snorted. 'Your boyfriend is currently obsessing over school elections while you're stuck here with this alien.'

'Hey, you promised not to worry about it,' Jayden chided gently as he pulled him down on the couch. 'I've seen the effort you put in, so I know you're going to win.'