04

Suzuki walked into school the next morning with a massive bruise on his left cheek

It wasn't uncommon here at Shujin Academy.

People whispered, saying this and that.

Suzuki knew that his peers had heard about the abuse in his household. I mean, there would have to be some sort of child neglect for a parent to willingly let their child "sell" their body.

Everyone and their mother had seen the footage.

He sighed, yet another painful memory trying to bubble's it's way to the top. Unlike yesterday, Suzuki kept himself grounded as he walked into his usual classroom.

Suzuki needed to get a better grip on his emotions. It wasn't going to do him any good to be constantly going down memory lane.

He said nothing to no one as he sat down at his desk.

Akira was actually on time today, and the duo made eye contact.

Suzuki was the first to break it however. Akira sat down as the teacher came in, the class and school day officially starting with the ring of the bell.

With a soft sigh, Suzuki laid his head down on his desk, taking random notes and doodling all over his papers until the lunch bell finally rang.

Students shuffled out of the classroom, waking up Suzuki from his unknowing sleep. He hadn't even realized he had fallen asleep.

He looked around.

Some were chatting, others were eating their bento boxes. Students filled the hallways, instantly moving towards their friends.

There was no point in staying if he couldn't sleep or relax here. He left the classroom.

Suzuki grabbed his stuff, before climbing his way up the stairs up to the roof. Unlike yesterday, there would be no one to eavesdrop on.

His spot was secured for the time being.

He took out his phone and played some soft jazz on his speaker to calm himself as he sat on one of the discarded desks.

In the background, he could hear the joyful yells of teammates as they played games with one another, shouting commands, etc.

It brought him back to better days, and before he knew it, he was eating happily. That was, until someone had to ruin it.

"What are you doing up here?" Questioned a voice from behind.

Suzuki tilted his head a bit, looking behind him to see the student council president. They were on speaking terms with one another, however they were far from friends.

"Niiji-san," He started as he looked down at his half finished lunch. "I'm eating up here." He replied, simply.

What else could he be doing with a lunch box in his hands.

Makoto Niijima shook her head. "This area is off limits, you should know that. You can't eat up here." She huffed.

Suzuki blinked slowly as he turned his gaze away from her.

"It's not that I can't, it's that I shouldn't. Right? But besides you, I'm not really bothering anyone I?" He asked.

His tone was anything but polite, before him and Makoto knew it.

He swung his feet off the edge of the desk as he picked up his bento before eating bits of its rice.

It wasn't like she had come up here to befriend him.

Makoto sighed and shook her head. "I'm asking you to get off the rooftop." She said, firmly holding her stance on the matter. Suzuki remained silent.

He bit his tongue.

She was really killing what were supposed to be his chill, lunchtime vibes.

"Fi—" The bell cut him off. He paused before looking over at Makoto as her lips curved into a deep frown. "...Did you not eat lunch?" He asked.

For the fifth time since Suzuki had seen her, she sighed once more. "With all the paperwork and school work I have, I didn't get the chance today." She admitted.

Suzuki and Makoto weren't exactly besties, but they had some history together. They had almost always been in the same classes together due to their similar surnames.

Nakamura and Niijima.

Suzuki was almost always in front of her whenever they had mixed classes during middle school.

But when Makoto graduated from high school, the two lost all communication and seemingly forgot about one another.

If Suzuki had to put it simply, she was the kindest senpai he ever had.

He looked down at his already —less than half — eaten bento box before handing it to her. "You can have the rest." He said as he placed the box into her hands.

"Throw away the box afterwards." Suzuki showed her a ghost of a smile before heading back to class.

It was nothing like she did for him, but he could consider that part of his debt repaid.