20

Suzuki had a lot to think about on his way to work

Kamoshida. Palaces.

More than anything, he didn't think it was right for them to potential take someone's life. They had no right to do so. Even if he was a horrible man, death wasn't the move. He deserved to rot in prison for all he had put everyone through. Death would have only been an easy way out for him.

He let out another sigh, as he swiped his train pass. He followed his usual path, walking alongside dozens of other people as they also made their daily commute.

"Wait, what?!"

Over the background chatter of passersby, a familiar voice stuck out to him.

"That's not what you promised! And you call yourself a teacher?"

Standing there to the side, just a little farther away from everyone else, was a familiar blondie with twin ponytails. "Ann." Suzuki called out, surprised to see her standing there.

From what he could tell, she was on the phone, but it wasn't going to well on her end. He hadn't heard her just yet. Suzuki thought for a moment, did he want to get involved with it? He wasn't too sure.

"This has nothing to do with Shiho!" She cried. Suzuki was reminded of what Ryuji had sent the group chat. There was something bigger going involved, something that involved Ann and Shiho. That meant Kamoshida was involved somehow too. He'd wait then.

If things went well, maybe he'd go home with more information.

Ann was silent for a moment before she dropped to the ground. She rested her head on her knees. Her shoulders trembled, and for a second, Suzuki thought she was crying.

"Ann..." He repeated as he walked over to her. He placed a gentle shoulder on her shoulder before kneeling down to her crouching form. "Are you alright?" His voice was soft, as he did his best to comfort the girl.

Unlike the other two, Suzuki had put two and two together. He knew exactly what Kamoshida was doing.

Ann looked up and instantly recognized the boy. She hesitated for a moment. "Were you listening?" She questioned, her eyes clouded with tears that had yet to fall. He nodded.

"Not on purpose, but I couldn't help it." He explained, a small frown on his face. Suzuki helped the girl to her feet. "Sorry." He added.

She was silent for a moment, a deep frown on her face. Suzuki looked around. He could see so many of their schoolmates wandering around the train station, this was certainly not a good place to talk. "Let's go somewhere safe." He suggested.

Ann gave a small nod as Suzuki led her elsewhere.

Suzuki checked the time. He still had about an hour until he had to head off to work, that was still plenty of time for him to talk to Ann some. He led her to a nearby bookstore-cafe, that he often visited. Given it's rustic type vibes, no one really went there, but he loved it.

Inside, there were only two other tables with people. He ordered them both a drink as Ann chose a spot in the corner for them to talk.

He joined up with her and handed her ice tea.

"Thank you..." Ann muttered under her breath as she took a sip from the icy beverage.

Suzuki nodded as he sat across from her. "What happened?" He asked curiously as he took a gulp of refreshing soda. It was exactly what he needed after a day of running around in the Japanese heat. It was only April, but the seasons were changing.

Ann shifted her gaze away from him. "It was just an argument." She muttered.

"With Kamoshida?" Suzuki asked as he tilted his head a bit to the side.

She was silent for a moment. She rested her cheek into the palm of her hands.

It took her a moment to start talking. "You've heard the rumors, right?" She questioned, her eyes gazing down at the table as she ran her finger tips around the smooth surface. "About me and Mr. Kamoshida." She gave a sigh. "Everyone says that we're getting it on, but..."

She looked up at Suzuki. Her eyes were silently begging for help, Suzuki could see it as plain as day.

"I avoided giving him my number for the longest." She frown grew as she tightened her fist. "He told me to go over to his place after this, you know what that means..." Suzuki knew all too well.

Ann wasn't finished talking though. "If I don't, he said he'd take my friend of the team." She muttered, hatred dripping from her. She hated it, but she was powerless against the couch of the volleyball team.

Suzuki could only be silent, as she continued.

Tears started to run down, her body trembling. "I keep telling myself it's for Shiho... but I can't keep doing it anymore." She didn't bother to stop the tears as they continued to fall.

"She's all I have left in that sorry excuse of a school!" She cried. "Tell me, what should I do?" She whispered.

Suzuki placed a hand on her and squeeze it. "Kamoshida, that's asshole.." He muttered as he frowned. Ann returned the kind gesture. "Don't go to his house. Don't let that asshole touch you. Shiho will understand if you tell her." He added. Ann gave a small nod.

He knew that it was going to be a lot harder than him just giving her advice. Even if he didn't go over tonight, there was no guarantee that he would stop. In fact, Suzuki was certain that he wouldn't. That was just the type of man he was.

"I do feel a bit better now..." Ann admitted as she pulled her hand out of his. Suzuki gave her a small smile and nodded. "I'm gonna head home." She added. She grabbed her glass and gave Suzuki a brief hug.

She paused and turned back towards Suzuki. "Don't tell anyone what I told you. I'll try and think of a way to persuade Kamoshida."

Ann cracked a small smile and said her thanks, before leaving.

Ann, Shiho, Kamoshida. It all just continued to get worse.