Chapter 17

The bell chimed pleasantly as the door opened and two pairs of boots stepped in. 

Ollivander was expecting his young student to be back, but instead, he was met with a gruff voice.

"Good afternoon,"

"Good afternoon," Ollivander said walking out from behind the shelves. "Mr Black. This is an unexpected visit,"

The old man's eyes fell on the boy standing beside his father.

"Regulus Black, if I'm not wrong," Ollivander said. "You brought your wand from this very shop last year,"

"Yes," Regulus nodded.

Ollivander turned to the man. "What brings you here?"

"I need a new wand, Ollivander," Mr Black said. 

"What of your old one?" Ollivander said. 

"It's damaged," Mr Black said curtly. "During one of my travels. I'm afraid it is damaged beyond repair,"

"Well, I wouldn't know until I take a look at your wand," Ollivander said. "It might be possible that there is a means for repairing your wand. If you'll let me have a look,"

"I know what I'm saying, Ollivander," Mr Black said, pulling himself to his full height. "But if it will please you," he said bitterly and from inside his robes pulled out a leather pouch and threw it onto the counter.

Ollivander picked it up slowly and upturned its contents onto the counter. Splintered bits of woods, with unicorn hair sticking out fell out. 

It was one of his creations that were so mercilessly destroyed. 

Ollivander sighed and looked up at Mr Black who looked smug and his expression screamed 'I told you so'.

"I believe you do know the process," Ollivander said.

"I do not have much time, Ollivander," Mr Black said wearily. "I have other business to attend to. I will trust you to find me the best wand you've ever created,"

"Of course," Ollivander said. "However, I must warn you. If the wand doesn't choose you, you will have to spare some time to find yourself a new wand. No wand can replicate the bond you've had with your very first one. I trust you know that,"

"Any wand I use works just as fine for me, Ollivander," Mr Black said, sounding rather proud of his accomplishment. 

Ollivander however, took this in a different way. With a small frown, he went towards the shelves and scanned the thousands of boxes. Orion Black was not the gentlest with his wands, nor did he care as much for them. He was incredibly proficient in wandless magic, hence his disregard for wands.

In the depths of the shop, the tinkle of the bell was heard again.

"Mr Ollivander, I'm back,"

Mr Black turned around, and so did Regulus. 

Jefferson?

"Ah, yes, Isabella," Ollivander said. "I have kept the books on the desk. I suggest you busy yourself, it is a long read,"

"Yes," Isabella said hurriedly, glad to get out of the uncomfortable situation and nodding to the Blacks; she supposed the older man was Regulus' father, she left.

"I didn't know you had a granddaughter, Ollivander," Mr Black said just as Isabella vanished behind the shelves. She could still hear what was happening in the shop, however.

"I didn't even know you had children," Mr Black continued. "Or have you taken in the child?"

"She is not my grandchild, nor my ward," Ollivander said simply still searching the shelves for a suitable wand.