Chapter 150

"Isabella!" Regulus cried, sprinting to her and dropping to his knees.

He grabbed her shoulders and turned her over. Her face was white as marble, yet her eyes were closed. She was cold as ice, colder than he had ever felt her before.

"Isabella," Regulus muttered, as he wiped the blood away from her face with his robes. 

"No, please don't be dead—Isa!—Please! Wake up," he said desperately.

Sirius had his wand ready, scanning the area for any sign of the basilisk or Riddle or anything. He kept glancing at Izzy, wanting to ask if she was alright, but knowing that the answer was a no.

He didn't know what help Izzy had written about in the letter, but it would be wonderful if it came to them about now.

He scanned the Chamber again when his eyes did a double-take. 

There was a shadow. . .of a boy.

Sirius raised his wand to chest height, ready to duel. 

"Regulus," he whispered. 

"Regulus!" he said more forcefully. 

Regulus finally looked up. He followed Sirius' gaze and then felt his heart miss a beat. 

They weren't alone there after all.

"Who's there?" Sirius called. "Come out!"

And as they held their breath, out stepped a boy, merely sixteen. . .But it was a face they had seen many times before.

Tom Riddle.

..........................................................................................

The magic was travelling through the castle, weaving its way through the twists and turns. Even the portraits noticed that something was moving, yet what, they could not see.

It had a destination and a purpose. Nothing else mattered.

Albus Dumbledore had just strode into his circular office. He took off his pointed wizard's hat and placed it on this desk, before moving to the cabinet to get himself some tea. 

Isabella Jefferson was once again throwing the world into shambles. 

"I heard a student was taken," Phineas Black said waspishly.

"That is correct," Dumbledore said, bringing out his favourite teacup and his kettle.

"Who was it?" Armando Dippet said wearily. He had once gone through all this trouble. 

Dumbledore stayed quiet for a moment, then said, "Isabella Jefferson,"

The stunned silence seemed to be ringing in the office. Then it erupted into chaos.

Isabella Jefferson was one student every past Headmaster and Headmistress of Hogwarts watched eagerly. Never had they come across such a strange student. 

"Didn't she know about Riddle?" Headmistress Spore cried. 

"Maybe that's why she got taken away," Headmistress Burke said thoughtfully.

Phineas Nigellus sniffed and said, "She isn't as careful as she said she would be, then," he said tartly. 

Albus focused on pouring the hot water into his teacup.