Chapter 37

Cookie 

Cephas and I sat alone at a special table, I was now his date while Ted, don't even know where Cephas chased him too. I was feeling very high and mighty with him so close to me. Something about him just screamed me, too much me. So far, we had been talking about his works, Ted embarrassing childhood he knew about and a little about me. Now, he would was driving to my own direction, personal Info's and I didn't mind.

'So why did you say you are naming me Praxina again?' I asked as I sipped from my glass of whatever this sweet liquid is.

'It's a name I wanted to name my daughter if she was alive.'

'You had a daughter?'

'Almost had a daughter,' he said sadly. 'But she died before she was born. I was so excited, very excited knowing I was going to be a father, my own offspring. It was a miracle to me because I never thought I would be able to father a child, I had a terrible accident that claimed my right to fatherhood, that rendered me useless. I was very shocked when the love of my life told me she was carrying my child, I was stunned. I did series of test on the pregnancy to confirm it and it was mine, my baby girl. Everything was going well before she suddenly lost the baby, I still don't understand why but I guess my sperm wasn't strong enough to keep the baby alive.' He said bitterly, his grip around his champagne glass had tightened.

'She must have felt bad...'

'She left me,' he spat. 'Broke up with me and left without a word. I believe she intentionally aborted my child after finding out I was a mafia but I let her go, she deserves a better life.'

'That woman is evil. Did she even love you?' I asked angrily.

'Maybe she was lost in the moment but she didn't. I thought she did but she didn't, she only saw me as a replacement for her husband since they were fighting.'

'So, you were sleeping with a married woman?' I sneered.

'I saw a woman, fell in love with her without checking but later found out she was married. Was I suppose to leave what I want for another man? If she had accepted me, I would have killed him right away.'

'So, she went back to her husband. Did you check on her after that?'

'If I do and see her happy after making me miserable, I will definitely kill both of them and her entire family.' He said coldly. He shook his head and smiled.

'You must have really loved her.'

'I would have loved my daughter more. If only she bore the baby before she left, I wouldn't be so miserable and worthless. All my wealth, everything I own is to be pass down to Ted after I die.'

'Why Ted?' I asked confusedly.

'With no family member to continue, it is part of the rules.'

'Wow,' I mouthed. 'No wonder he is rich.'

'Indeed,' he smirked. I sipped my drink again and stared at him the way he tapped his left foot when drinking, just like I do all the time. He also taps his glass and nods his head when speaking about something emotional. Just like me. Again, those dimples and those eyes...

'Dad, what is the meaning of Praxina?'

'Bright light, action and something, I've forgotten.' He said dismissively.

'Why do you like that name?'

'I dunno,' he shrugged. 'I just wanted to name my daughter Praxina Aileen Newton. Then her pet name would be Cookie...' The glass slipped from my hand and fell on my dress, staining it completely. 'Shit! Are you alright?' He asked with concern as he held my chair. I stared at him with wide eyes and parched throat. 'Why are you looking at me like that?'