Chapter 32

Cookie 

Housewife.

That was how I felt watching Ted dress up as he walked around the room, answering phonecalls and going through a file at the same time. I wasn't helping him with anything, all I did was to wake up, exercise, work on my gymnastics and do whatever else comes my mind. I need to do something, need to help him, show him that I can be useful to him in other ways.

'...I said I will be there in thirty minutes, stop panicking!' He yelled into the phone. 'No, I am not on my way yet so stop questioning me!' He inhaled and continued walking around. I sighed and drummed my fingers, what do I do to assist him? His mafia work was already a huge work load, yet alone his normal work. He needed assistant. 'Okay, bye.' He hung up and picked up his second ringing phone.

'Won't you take a break?'

'No, I need to g... Ciao... Dove si trova D'Amato?... Ah! Sì,..' He changed to Italian language which I was yet to start speaking but I can understand it better. I smiled as an idea came into my head.

'Coco,' I whispered.

'Just a sec,' he mouthed. I stood up and walked to the bathroom, to wash my hands again while I wait for him to finish the phonecall. I came out of the bathroom and sat on the bed, curled my legs up and smiled at him. He picked up his briefcase.

'I have to go now, see you when I see you, okay?'

'Nokay. You can't just walk out of here like that without compensating me, what if I die before you get back?'

'And what – if I may ask – is going to kill you? Just tell me who or what?'

'Boredom, loneliness, sadness, rejection...' I said dramatically. He rolled his eyes.

'Rejection?'

'Yes, I got rejected by joy community, don't you think I deserve better in life?'

'Dio, questa ragazza è guai,' he muttered. He said I was trouble, how rude. 'Sì signora, what may I do for you?'

'Can I go out? Check on my café?'

'Urgh, really?'

'I will only be gone for an hour, nothing more.'

'Fine, but Carlos is driving you.'

'That will be suspicious, I don't want attention. Trust me Ted, I won't get hurt, I promise.'

No,'

'Arch! My stomach!' I yelled.

'Cosa successe?'

'Oh my stomach have been poisoned by rejection,' he rolled his eyes. 'Come on Coco, please?'

'I don't know,' he sighed. 'You can go but remember to take fifty guards...'

'Coco,' I laughed. 'I'll be fine.'

'Dress up, I will leave with you,' I nodded and walked to the wardrobe to get dress.

Twenty minutes later, I was trying to convince Ted that I don't need bodyguards, he is too stubborn. We were outside, his face emotionless as he insisted I go heavily guarded because he doesn't want to take any chances.

'Ted, I want you to trust me in this, I will be fine.'

'What if someone jumps out of nowhere and kidnaps you, what am I suppose to do then?'

'I know every bad boy in Naples, Verona and Florence, no one will kidnap me.'

'Cookie,' he whined. I twinkled my lashes at him and gave him my kitten eyes. 'I'm not going to win this, right?'