Chapter 18

Quote for the chapter:

"Friends are the family you choose."

 — Jess C. Scott

_________________________________

As soon as Chloe opened the door, she was met by two girls who had their arms crossed. Vanessa has her eyebrow arched while Alice shook her head. Then it suddenly struck her, they were originally supposed to meet at the student council room. Chloe felt guilty for forgetting to meet her friends. They were supposed to meet in the student council room a while ago. Her friends even texted and called her, but of course, as always she had her phone muted.

"I'm sorry about a while ago. For forgetting to show up a while, and replying to your messages." Chloe said to her friends.

It was sincere. She felt bad about it but she couldn't help it. It's like her defense mechanism. Whenever she doesn't want to face something, she would unconsciously forget about it. At least she didn't panic. The only time she panicked in her life was when Brian was born, she would just stare at Brian and blush. He was just so cute growing up, and in all those three years, she couldn't help but be awkward around Brian. By the age of five, she slowly got used to Brian and his cheerfulness. It's a good thing everybody loves Brian or else if his brother is being bullied, they'll have to face the devil herself.

"Accepted. I mean it's not every day we get an apology from Chloe Harker." Alice said.

Chloe didn't know whether she should treat that as a compliment or not. It's not that she doesn't apologize, it's because she has no reason to. She also makes sure not to make a mistake in every project she heads. Many say that she would become one of the most successful project managers in the future. She doesn't need anyone's validation because she works hard in every project she heads.

"Shesh. Are you alright Chloe? You seem not yourself. You're never forgetful." Vanessa said, curiously.

"So-well, we decided to invade your home. We're here for the sleepover." Vanessa continued.

"I don't want to keep secrets from you guys," Chloe admitted and sighed.

They went up to the stairs and inside Chloe's room. Vanessa helped herself and sat cozily on Chloe's bed. Alice sat on Chloe's soft study chair. Chloe sat in the middle of the bed. Chloe felt her pulse quicken. She wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to reveal to them the mark Natalie left on her neck. If her parents saw this they might be angry. The thought that she is falling for another girl might anger her parents. Although her parent's never expressed hatred towards the LGBT community, they also never showed that they support it. Well, she's been too swamped to talk to her parents.

Chloe removed her scarf that made Vanessa's and Alice's eyes widen.

"Oh shit! Is that what I think it is?" Vanessa screamed.

"Shhhh. Keep it down, Van." Chloe said, panicking and fidgeting.

She regretted her decisions right away. She trusts her friends to keep their mouths shut, but Vanessa's action would sometimes give it away.

"It's a hickey," Alice said, softy.

"Who have you been seeing? Damn, I never know our icy Chloe could flirt." Vanessa said teasingly with a grin.

Chloe rolled her eyes.

"It's not my fault she's so damn seductive," Chloe said softly as her eyes avoided the gaze of her friends. Had Natalie successfully seduced her? She wasn't sure. All she knows is that the kiss Natalie initiated when she was plastered, haunted her dreams ever since then.

"A girl? Ohhh. It's Natalie, isn't it?" Vanessa said confidently.

Chloe became quiet and her ears became hot. Was I that obvious? Chloe wondered. She has been genuinely nice towards Natalie these past few days. Maybe she isn't that great at hiding her true feelings when she wanted to then she thought. Well, she has never been easily swayed and easily showed her feelings before, so what made Natalie so special to have penetrated her walls so easily?

"Bull's eye," Vanessa said as she snapped her fingers.

"I mean she is hot with a capital H," Alice said.

"I'm hotter though," Vanessa said.

"Dream on."

Chloe could only roll her eyes again. She was relieved that her friends didn't make it a big deal. She thought they would freak out since she was making out with the person almost everyone has a crush on, well except her before. She cleared her throat.

"I wouldn't say that," Chloe said.

"In denial huh?" Vanessa said.

"She's nice, I promise. Just a bitch sometimes."

"And when did you get close to Natalie?" Chloe raised her eyebrow.

"She's friendly to everyone, well except you," Alice said honestly.

For some reason, those words hurt Chloe. It felt like there's an arrow that hit her heart awfully. Her face for the first time showed a pained expression, a sad on too.

"And, not in denial. I think I'm falling." Chloe said, her voice fading as she said the last word. Vanessa and Alice were surprised. They thought that Chloe might deny her affection, but clearly, the opposite happened.

"Holy hell! We'll help you, though." Alice said getting excited to play cupid.

"She'll fall for you when she gets to know how honest you are." Vanessa grinned, waving her eyebrow.

Chloe blush. She knows what Vanessa meant was, and that is how honest her feelings were right now. Chloe tried to save her face a little and shook her head.

"Yeah. Says who? You shouldsee your expression right now. It's the first time we've seen you this red."Vanessa pointed out the obvious.