Chapter 34

Quote for the chapter:

"Time flies. It's up to you to be the navigator."

-Robert Orben

_________________________________

It's been months now, and Chloe still is pursuing Natalie. She walked towards the benches near the fields where Alice and Vanessa were sitting. The warm sunlight met her face. Fresh air brushed past her hair. Chloe observed the other students. Some were already walking away from the campus towards the parking lot while others were waiting for their personal drivers to fetch them. A few organizations were having an official gathering today. Chloe remembered which organization it was, she was the one who approved it after all. The Volunteer Club would always request an official gathering for one, every week. Despite how Chloe wanted them to just send one letter for the entire year, an official gathering needs a letter to be approved. Chloe advised them to just change the date of their previous letter and that would suffice. The Volunteer Club has been one of Chloe's favorites. They would Volunteer around the campus or the town folks for help. They also organize talks about mental health awareness. Sometimes Chloe herself wasn't even sure what the Volunteer Club actually did since they do many different things. Chloe was glad that despite most of the student population being wealthy, they were still willing to help out others in need. Well, not all. Maybe it's because they have been studying at Hidget Academy. Freshmen were the worst. Most freshmen would argue as to why Hidget Academy has so many rules and are strict regarding the use of money. Many freshmen who are part of organizations would often argue with their presidents as to why they can't use their own pocket money and have to rely on the budget given to them. By the time they're sophomore years, they would slowly understand why, and one of the reasons being the yearly talk about the importance of money and giving back to the community given to the freshmen. The guidance would be the one to arrange the event.

Chloe scanned her surroundings again. She saw the baseball team practicing on the field. She wondered what the cheerleaders were doing. If she remembered correctly, the cheerleading practice will start the next hour. Chloe can't wait to visit them. Visiting Natalie has been a common occurrence ever since Natalie went kart racing with her family. Chloe tries to visit them when she has time to spare. For the past week, she has been busy organizing events with the La Publication and the Multi Art. The La Publication is composed of students who like to write online articles, magazines, and even books. They also deal with the paper publication like for the yearly newspaper of Hidget Academy and books. The Multi Art is composed of students who are fond of painting, sketching, digital drawing, just anything about making art. Some make comics. The La Publication and the Multi Art were collaborating for an event outside the school. There is an upcoming Comic-Con that Multi Art will be selling their comics, and they wanted La Publication to help them with their dialogues and printing. The event would give them more publicity and accomplishment in the yearly newspaper of the Hidget Academy.

Chloe is beat. She has to look through the proposal given to her and she even gave an exception to the La Publication's budget. She increased it by a few dollars. The comics were already finished and just needed to be published.

Vanessa waved at her. Chloe sat beside Alice which is the only unoccupied seat. Vanessa and Alice were glad that Chloe and Natalie were becoming friends. Chloe just rolled her eyes when Vanessa revealed that she was relieved she didn't have to tear between being Chloe's best friend and being friends with Natalie, especially when her Ice Queen of a friend is pursuing Natalie. Chloe didn't feel lied to when Vanessa was friends with Natalie even the days when Natalie and she were on bad terms. She got to know Natalie and she is a sweet person, she couldn't blame Vanessa being nice to her. These days, Chloe is pursuing Natalie. Often being in near proximity of the other girl, driving her home sometimes, and going as far as visiting Natalie's practice as often as her schedule would allow her.

There were times Natalie lashed out at her, Chloe soon came up with a hypothesis that Natalie only acted up when she felt threatened. She was glad that Natalie didn't lash out as often as she had seen and heard before. When she told Natalie, Natalie just smiled at her. Natalie told her that she was keeping it a secret from everyone except Jevon. Chloe did feel a pang in her heart but paid no mind to it and kept listening to Natalie. Natalie just chuckled. I knew you were really intelligent.I'm glad I don't have to tell you since you figured it out on your own. Natalie told her. Chloe sensed that Natalie must have wanted to tell her sooner, but was unable to.

"What are you daydreaming about?" Vanessa asked with a smirk.

Chloe glared at her. Vanessa indirectly teasing her about her crush on Natalie has become a daily occurrence. She wished that Vanessa would shut up about it already, but at the same time, she wanted Vanessa to continue doing that. It reminded her of her nights with Natalie and that her feelings for the blonde girl were real. Chloe had been suppressing her feelings for the other girl for a few months, but Natalie isn't helping. Natalie often barges into her comfort space. Their thighs would almost always touch each other. Natalie also frequently spends time with her family and has been sleeping over a few times. Just last Sunday, Natalie went with her family to lunch at a Korean buffet place. Natalie suggested to play Just Dance 4 with her family, to her surprise, her father even agreed to join in, and she wasn't left with much choice.

" Christmas is near," Chloe said.

Vanessa looked at her, her smirk widening. Chloe rolls her eyes. Vanessa always associates what she says is about Natalie. Of course, Chloe knows that Vanessa was only joking and mostly it's not true; however, Vanessa was spot on right now, but of course she won't let her friend know. When Chloe's face didn't flinch, Vanessa's smirk curved down into a frown.

"Yeah. We'll be visiting my grandparents. The cool one." Vanessa winked.

Vanessa's grandparents on the mother's side are strict and illiberal. They aren't open-minded as her 'cool' grandparents are. Her father's side would even come and play snowball fights with them and watch Netflix with them the whole night then later snoozed off. Even Vaness's mother didn't quite like her grandparents, mostly her grandmother but she still respects them. They would take turns for Christmas visits, but of course, Vanessa and her siblings would always give time during summer to visit her 'cool' grandparents.

" We'll just crash home. My parents will be home next week. We'll be sure to give you some leftover cakes from our bakery." Alice said her arms back on the bench and looked up at the sky.

Chloe arched her eyebrow out of confusion. She saw Vanessa stare at Alice, and smiled at her. Alice smiled back but she was sure that Alice's ears were quite pinkish and her lips pinched trying to suppress a smile but decided not to overthink. She'll just wait until Alice would tell her, she didn't want to pressure Alice. Besides, if Alice was ready, she would have already talked to her.

"Aren't you forgetting something, Chloe?" Alice said.