Chapter 30

Quote for the chapter:

"Only when you are kinder to yourself, you can be kinder to the world. "

-Haemin Sunim

_________________________________

" I already planned to. I asked your mum earlier while she was preparing for your congee. She told me to stay in the guest room, " Natalie answered.

"Have you taken your meds?" Natalie asked, walking over Chloe's closet.

" Already did. Feel free to wear whatever is to your liking." Chloe said as she glanced at Natalie.

" It's full of shirts and joggers. Do you have shorts?" Natalie chuckled.

" I have. They're in the other closet." Chloe said. It so happens that Chloe has gifted two pairs of running shorts last Christmas. Chloe swallowed hard. Those shorts were extremely short. Chloe would be able to see Natalie's perfect legs tonight, but her eyelids suddenly felt heavy and were forced to close her eyes. Chloe tried to fight off her sleep, she wanted to spend more time with Natalie and perhaps get a glimpse of her long smooth legs. Sleep slowly crept over her. She hoped that she would get better tomorrow. It would be a shame to not hang out with Natalie.

***

Chloe twitched and opened her eyes. She felt her body lighter than yesterday and her nose was no longer clogged. Her head was also no longer heavy. Chloe breathed in a huge amount of air as she felt the fresh air enter her nostrils and her lungs expand. Chloe felt great as of right now. Her immune system has always been amazing. It's like when she was young. She recalled the time she first got a fever when she was six years of age. It was severe. She remembered her parents were distressed about her health. For a six-year-old, she received a temperature of 105.8 Fahrenheit. It scared the shit out of her parents, even her father who's usually composed was fidgeting. They brought her to the hospital right away. What surprised them the most is that her fever was no more the next day. It turns out that Chloe has quite an amazing immune system that even the doctor was bewildered by it. Ever since that day, whenever she gets a fever, she would just rest and take her meds. The next day, it's as if she didn't get a fever. Besides, it's not often that she gets a fever. If Chloe could remember, this time is just the third time she got a fever.

The sun shining upon her. She picked up her phone and saw that it's already nine in the morning. She better wash up and head down for breakfast. She better check on Natalie too. Natalie not only visited her yesterday but also helped her especially with feeding her. Chloe's stomach growled. She must have been extremely hungry especially since she skipped lunch and only ate a congee yesterday night.

Chloe walked towards Natalie's room to check on her. She knocked on the door. There was no answer. Chloe feared that Natalie might have left already. Chloe cleared her throat and proceeded to open the door.

"Natalie?" Chloe said as she opened the door.

The guest room was empty. The blanket was perfectly folded. She could smell a faint scent of Natalie's perfume. Natalie did spend the night here since she dozed off leaving Natalie without a company. Chloe walked toward the bed and sat on it. She creased the bed. Thinking of how Natalie slept on this bed. Her eyes landed at the pillows. She wondered if the pillows smelled like Natalie. There's one way to know it. She grabbed the pillow and rested her face on it. She inhaled a generous amount of air on the pillow. It smelled like flowers blooming in spring. She guessed that it must be Natalie's shampoo. Her nose is searching for a familiar scent of Natalie's. She placed the pillow back to where it was and stood up. She felt embarrassed by what she was doing. How could she act like a stalker? Natalie and she are friends, and it would be disgusting if Natalie saw her sniffing and inhaling Natalie's scent.