Chapter 33

Quote for the chapter:

"We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give." 

– Sir Winston Churchill

_________________________________

They walked towards the kart assistant who handed them their safety gear. After they were all set, he showed them towards their cart. There were already four other people waiting for them. The kart assistant explained the rules, and that they are each other's competitor. Everyone on this should have a driver's license he explained but didn't bother to ask them to show. The other kart drivers apart from Chloe and Natalie were two guys. One blond and another who has curly brown hair and looks quite Hispanic. The other two were ladies who gave off college vibes. One a redhead and another a brunette Chloe noticed a large tree near the start line which is also the finish line. Chloe made sure to remember that, it might come in handy later on. Chloe then turned her focus to the four. 

The guys were friendly with each other and the girls. Must be a double date. Chloe thought until the brunette caught her staring at and winked at her before talking to her friends again. Chloe didn't flinch. She didn't show any weakness and turned her gaze in front. The kart assistance told them that they're about to start. He started to count down, and when he blew the whistle. Chloe stepped at the gas generously making her the second place to start. In front of her, was the guy with curly hair. 

The track was definitely for adults. The roads were a flexible pavement making it easy to drive on. At first, the track was easy to turn wheels, but as it goes, the track was getting more difficult to drive in. There were more zigzag tracks. It's a good thing they were wearing safety gears and there were soft pillowy boxes at the edge of the tracks in case of accidents. Chloe looked at her wing mirror and saw that the other karts were far too behind her and that she was sure they wouldn't hinder her from taking the first place. When Chloe saw a big tree that she observed a while ago, she was sure that they're almost towards the finish line, Chloe decided to do drafting and stayed closely behind the kart in front of her. When Chloe noticed that the kart in front of her was having a difficult time maintaining his place, she waited for the next turn to grab that opportunity. 

She took her chance at the upcoming turn and passed the guy taking his place. The wind felt warm and fresh as her victory was. She stepped on the gas generously.

When the others arrived, she was announced as the winner. They parked their karts back to where it initially was. She got out of the kart soon and removed her helmet, swaying her head slowly as she did so. Her hair slowly cascaded to her back as some sweat was dripping slowly from her neck.

" That's hot." the brunette said as she walked towards Chloe.

" I'm Beatrice." The brunette said as her friends were shaking their heads. It seems like Beatrice is often doing thisintroducing herself to girls that is.

Chloe turned her head, trying to look unsurprised. She did initially think that the four were on a double date. Chloe decided that she didn't care enough and ignored the girl and walked towards Natalie who had her eyebrows shoot while having her arms crossed. Chloe didn't dare to think that Natalie crossed her arms because she was jealous.

" Why don't you talk to her?" Natalie asked, her head tilting slightly.

Chloe and Natalie headed back inside and removed their safety gear and sat on the bench waiting for the others before they headed back. There would always be a group picture with each having their results edited on the top of their heads. That is one of the services that made Blaze Karting so well-known. Even the Kidde track has it. Each participant would receive both a digital and physical copy of the picture too. This is one of the things that Chloe really liked about the Blaze Karting.

The other four went inside and they all posed for the picture. After the picture, Beatrice walked in front of Chloe before she was about to exit. Chloe didn't flinch at all while Natalie's eyes were fuming.

" Such an ice queen. Just my type." Beatrice flashed a smile.

The redhead walked towards them and tried to scold Beatrice but her friend just won't listen.

"I'm sorry that my friend keeps annoying you." She said, her voice cracking.

Chloe raised her eyebrow. The redhead was almost like pissing herself. Chloe hadn't even said anything, yet the girl was afraid of her. The brunette on the other hand wasn't and the smile was still present on her face. She gazed at the other two guys who were avoiding her gaze by talking to each other. Chloe felt something in her chest, a light feeling. Chloe gave a lazy smile.

" I'm Chloe, Chloe Harker," Chloe said.

It wouldn't hurt to befriend another person who isn't afraid of her, right? Before she could process what happened, a pair of lips suddenly met her and her eyes widened. The brunette girl was kissing her. She didn't react which the other girl thought that she didn't mind the contact and tried to slip a tongue inside her mouth. Chloe pushed her and with her icy voice, she said, " Know your place." with a glare.

The brunette licked her lips and smiled as she grabbed Chloe's arm and a pen and wrote her number clear as day on Chloe's forearm.

" Call me." She said before she got scolded by the redhead and headed towards her friends.

Chloe almost immediately whipped her lips rigorously with the back of her hand. She decided to pursue Natalie and this isn't helping her.

She turned back to face Natalie who was ready to leave. Natalie gave her her share of the picture. Natalie walked inside before her and staring at Natalie's back, her lips curled upwards as she remembered how Natalie's eyebrows were pinched together. She might have a chance after all.

They shortly met up with Chloe's parents and her brother. Brian was telling them both about his first experience of driving the car. Natalie's furrowed eyebrows were nowhere now. Chloe reminded herself that she was just imagining things. They got inside the car and drove back home. Annie insisted that Natalie join them for lunch, but unfortunately she needed to head back home, who knows how worried her butler is.

When an expensive Tesla appeared, Chloe walked Natalie towards her car. Before Natalie went in, she whispered something to Chloe that made her eyebrows pinched closer out of confusion. It turns out that yesterday night was the first night she had stayed over at someone's house. Thoughts occupy her mind as she stood still where she was. Thoughts like whether the first time included her not having yet to stay over at Jevon's. She went back in and washed her forearm with soap until it was clean. She is really cute.

Chloe then picked up her phone then began searching through her contact list before pressing call to someone she didn't want to interact with, especially with his confusing personality.