Chapter 45

Quote for the chapter:

"The wait is long, my dream of you does not end."

― Nuala O'Faolain

_________________________________

Last Saturday wasn't fun, in contrast, it was a heartbreaking experience for Chloe. Well, not entirely. She did become friends with Beatrice. Monday came and her eyes were no longer puffy. She was lucky that when she woke up the next day, her swollen face and puffy eyes returned to normal again. Her family didn't go out that Sunday as it was freezing outside and decided to watch movies together. It was peaceful and she was able to calm her emotions which were at war.

Christmas is already a few days away. Every family is preparing for Christmas. Many were shopping for their needs. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and today would be their last day of classes before their academic year resumes in January. Vanessa's family is flying later in the evening to her grandparents— the cool one. Vanessa won't be back not until the third day of January. Alice on the other hand would be spending time with her family. They might go out of town and relax in their villa for a couple of days before her parents leave again after celebrating New Year's Day. They would usually meet up on the 6th of January. A day after Vanessa comes back. Chloe would just be at home with her family. She does sometimes visit the public library to borrow some books to pass time, play with Brian, or watch Netflix with him. They don't usually visit other places because her father only got two days off for the holiday. After Christmas, her father has work in front of him already. In summer; however, her father would file for a paid vacation and take a vacation. They once visited Jamaica. Chloe liked it there. The hut-like hotel they stayed in was exotic. Chloe liked the fresh air there and not to mention the beach. It was quite hot though for her taste. Unlike the other tourists, her father and she were fully clothed during their visit. They were wearing shirts and shorts at least to her mother's constant pestering that she should at least wear a bikini.

Along the hallway, Christine greeted her and they shared a small talk for a few minutes. Christine was worried as she suddenly disappeared last Saturday. Chloe assured the girl that she is fine. Christine bid Chloe goodbye as she walked towards outside of the campus, carrying her things with her. Chloe shook her head at the fact that Christine is cutting classes. Well, flying back to her family is important for boring classes, especially during the last day of classes before Christmas break. At the corner of her eyes, many students were staring at her. They must have been bewildered that Chloe would consider having a small talk with someone. She really had quite a terrible reputation before.

Chloe walked towards a table. She finally finished her first four classes and is quite famished and is ready to have a serving of carbonara. She sat down, waiting for her friends to finish getting their orders. Vanessa had a serving of spaghetti while Alice preferred a serving of spicy curry rice. Natalie helped herself to some burger and fries with extra ketchup. After months, Natalie has finally been part of their small group. Everyone knows it too. At first, Christine was shocked. Natalie sometimes eats with her friends and her. Natalie has been well-known to not belong at the same time and belong to almost every group. It seems that Natalie found her way to Chloe's group of friends. Chloe's group might be her permanent one. Many were curious since a few months ago, and are still now.

"How's your night with Miss College Girl?" Vanessa said, wiggling her eyebrow.

Alice shot Vanessa a glare. It wouldn't be a brilliant idea to speak about what happened that night. For all they know, it was only a misunderstanding. Besides, they all know that Chloe's pursuing Natalie. There's no way she's such a bitch to do that.

"It was good," Chloe answered.

Natalie almost choked at Chloe's answer. Chloe's an honest person, so there's no way she is lying. She felt a pinch in her heart. Why is she feeling like this? She's the one who kept Chloe hanging.

Alice turned her head towards Chloe without wasting a second while Vanessa's eyebrows shook up. Vanessa was actually just attempting to tease Chloe, yet the tables have turned and something had actually happened last night.

Chloe arched her eyebrow with eyes that were filled with confusion. Why was her friend acting as if she had committed a crime? Is there something that her friends didn't approve of Beatrice? She looked and acted nice enough towards her. Beatrice helped mend her broken heart. The longer her eyes linger on Natalie, the more she couldn't fulfill her plans of asking Natalie about her feelings. It's as if she's enchanted by Natalie, and couldn't bear to end her attempt to make Natalie fall in love with her. She hated how her heart seemed to dominate her rational mind. It's like what Vanessa has told her. She really is getting dumber — her IQ is getting lower whenever it comes to Natalie.

"Do you not approve? I like her though." Chloe said, looking at her friends who were in turn looking at one another.

Chloe sighed. She never thought that her friends were quick to judge Beatrice — Vanessa too. She thought that Vanessa, who's the friendlies and the extrovert, would actually want to get to know Beatrice before forming opinions about her. Chloe must admit that she was quite disappointed with her friends.

"Do you?" Chloe repeated, putting her fork down.

"It's not that-"

"If you like her, why not?" Natalie said, her lips twitched before she managed an awkwardly forced smile.

Chloe didn't believe what Natalie had said. She hinted in a sarcastic tone from Natalie, not to mention the forced smile that emitted from her face. Chloe sighed. She wondered what's wrong with her friends. She remembered how Vanessa used to befriend Natalie despite her opposition. It might be a better idea to introduce Beatrice to them and get them to know each other better. For all she knows, their impression of Beatrice might improve.

"You don't have to force yourself to like Bea. How about meeting up with her? I'll invite her to hang out with us on the fourth of January." Chloe suggested with a bright smile.

That was enough to convince them that Chloe and Beatrice might actually be an item. Vanessa and Alice did see Beatrice make a move on Chloe that Saturday night. Later on, Beatrice led Chloe outside and they disappeared for the night. Anyone who has common sense would know. Vanessa and Alice didn't have to tell Natalie what happened, in reality Natalie had actually been paying attention to Chloe. She was anticipating Chloe to approach her but that girl — Beatrice, snatched Chloe's attention, and it looks like she even stole a kiss from Chloe. Natalie's eyes twitched out of irritation, but what dismayed her the most was when Chloe left with Beatrice. She wanted to follow Chloe but felt guilty to do so. She'd been leading Chloe on.

"That'd be a great idea, darling." Natalie blurted out. She wasn't supposed to be using darling on Chloe anymore. She's smitten with someone else after all. She felt a stinging feeling. Natalie bit her lip, waiting for Chloe to correct her or inform her that she would prefer her calling Chloe's name, but instead, a smile emitted from Chloe's lips.